Not cross-threading the new immersion heater

Not cross-threading the new immersion heater! I am having trouble putting the new immersion heater in, just starting the thread correctly. Is there a knack to this that I just haven't learnt?

Reply to
GB

Are the threads in the cylinder clean? If so, a smear of Vaseline may help. Make sure that you have the new heater square to the threads, try a slight turn to the left before "going for it". In a different life I used to be a heating engineer. I never liked it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

yes

Yep, tried that.

This is the tricky part. It's going in horizontally, so there's a fair bit of weight inside the cylinder with the advantage of leverage.

It's frustrating that the hard part of the job is meant to be getting the old immersion out. I managed that. This bit is meant to be easy, and I can't manage it.

Reply to
GB

In my day I did not encounter immersion heaters going in from the side, they were all from the top.

46 years ago ...

All I can suggest is to push the bloody thing squarely in as hard as you can, bit of a turn to the left then go for it. But, I guess that you will have already done that. Or, drain down, remove cylinder do the job and get ready for the leaks. Sorry ..

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It turns out that it's a bit stiffer to turn than I expected. So, I thought that it was cross-threaded because it was rather hard to turn, but it was actually okay. I took your advice and just went for it.

Reply to
GB

I finally got something right :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Do remember to refill the cylinder before turning your new immersion heater on :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

From experience??

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've had one or two interesting kettles where the boil dry cutout didn't.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was going to advise wire brushing the female threads, either with a hand brush or with a small "wheel" type in a power drill. You often get limescale "filling" the normal clearance between the tips and roots of the mating threads. I find it is worth putting a thicker than normal wrap of PTFE tape on the male part provided you can clean the female properly, say ten turns of "water" tape rather than the conventional

3-4. Less space for limescale to build up.
Reply to
newshound

Admittance that you usually get things wrong noted.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Had that at work many years with one of those kettles that ejected the plug from the side socket. Got distracted elswehere after putting it on for the first brew of the day, someone passing the door of the lab where this occured noticed and mentioned to me downstairs that they thought the new red light glowing on the bench was quite artistic. Fortunately it was on a heat resistant surface , somehow I had placed too close to the wall and the plug could not eject and the spring was not strong enough to move the kettle. Despite this mistreatment this kettle was still functioning when I moved jobs a year later. Probably took the introduction of PAT testing to finish it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You mean admission.

Admittance is either the price of (or permission for) admission, or an electrical quantity.

Reply to
Chris Green

You understood what I meant didn't you? I suppose you get annoyed when people mix up licence and license, practice and practise?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes.

Because uneducated drivel is ambiguous, and ambiguity is dangerous.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Uneducated people can't use context to determine the meaning.

Er... how do you cope with practise and license in speech? They're the same.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Remember - it is a single start thread so you may need to turn quite a way before it engages. I find turning backwards until you feel it drop into the start point helps.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Parallel threads are not intended to seal. Taper threads are.

harry

I tried that. In the end, I found the start of each of the two threads by running my thumbnail along, then matched them up against each other.

Reply to
GB

It was bound to happen at some point;-)

I always expected that I would have deal with a infinite number of monkeys knocking at my front door waving around a typewritten Hamlet scrip before you got something right.

I was wrong.

So therefore Mr Pounder, I am going to wish you and yours a Happy New Year.

All the best for 2017.

Reply to
ARW