immersion heater

hi

my central heating has packed up so for now im going to fit the old immersion heater wireing back together its old say about 20 years the immersion heater is still in the tank its just acase of putting the wires back can anyone see a problem with this Thanks Mick

Reply to
painterman1

painterman1 brought next idea :

Ours was put in as a standby twenty odd years ago and was never needed. I eventually diverted the circuit for other purposes, but made sure I could restore it in minutes should it ever be needed for its original purpose.

If yours is just a matter of reconnecting and you know what you are doing, just get on with it - there should not be a problem.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

you wont know if theres a problem till you try it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all present day ones have . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

True, but 2 deaths in 20 years is a safety record orders of magnitude better than most things we do daily.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

though.And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all present day ones have .

Worth buying a new thermostat, if the heater element works. I believe that the mineral insulation inside the element sheath can absorb moisture, causing a leak to earth and making any RCDs trip. Once thgey heat up, the absorbed moisture evaporates.

Reply to
Aidan

Absolutely ........ I was just making the point tho' . :-)

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Aidan writes

What is the operation of the safety element? Overcurrent, overtemp. ?.

I fitted a new one to my daughters cistern and it has tripped twice since. The element looked perfect; no scale or distortion. I was unable to check for electrical faults.

Is there any possibility of a faulty cut-out?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb