Lead Poisoning

There is an interesting article in the current British Medical Journal on lead poisoning.

A couple were renovating their 100-year old house. Renovations included burning off old lead-based paints.

Both of the household cats were, eventually, diagnosed with lead poisoning. One of the cats died. Domestic pets are very likely to be poisoned during renovations of this type because of their tendency to lick their fur and ingest harmful toxins.

The female half of the couple was pregnant at the time, and tests showed the amount of lead in her blood was far in excess on what is considered safe and normal. She required treatment to reduce the lead concentrations in her blood and that of the foetus. She gave birth successfully and with no apparent harm to her child.

We have all been warned !

Terry W

Reply to
Terry W.

|There is an interesting article in the current British Medical Journal on |lead poisoning. | |A couple were renovating their 100-year old house. Renovations included |burning off old lead-based paints. | |Both of the household cats were, eventually, diagnosed with lead |poisoning. One of the cats died. Domestic pets are very likely to be |poisoned during renovations of this type because of their tendency to |lick their fur and ingest harmful toxins. | |The female half of the couple was pregnant at the time, and tests showed |the amount of lead in her blood was far in excess on what is considered |safe and normal. She required treatment to reduce the lead |concentrations in her blood and that of the foetus. She gave birth |successfully and with no apparent harm to her child. | |We have all been warned !

Again modern Health and Safety rules transferred back into past ages. I and many others lived when all paints were lead based, and myself picked flaking lead based paint off wood. At the time people did not show symptoms of lead poisoning. No doubt at the time, "the lead concentrations in my blood" would have been "far in excess on what is *NOW* considered safe and normal" but not tests were ever done.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I have been using lead based solder for over 30 years every day at work. Have blood tests every 2 months for a blood disorder and no problems shown up yet. I am still alive and kicking. Some things need that pinch of salt.

Dave

Reply to
gort

gort wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

To describe a properly conducted medical trial, vetted by other experts in the field, as a "load of tosh" shows an appalling lack of awareness and intelligence.

YOU may not have any effects "using lead based solder" but the animals and human involved in this study DID show an effect - severe lead poisoning. Neither the trial, nor my posting, implied that all or anyone who comes into contact with lead-based products will suffer harm.

My post was meant to inform and educate - not to draw biased and idiotic conmments.

Terry W

Reply to
Terry W.

Dave Fawthrop wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

According to research correctly carried out, you possibly/probably DID show symptons of lead poisoning and may even, possibly, still be suffering the effects - to a greater or lesser degree.

It was this research that informed the ban on lead-based paints etc. It proved quite categorically that ingestion of lead was harmful to humans and animals. I cannot find the original research papers, but seem to remember that a) no in-depth study was done on the levels needed to cause

*permanent* harm and b) it was found that the younger the human subject, the greater the damage caused.

My original post was intended to educate and/or inform members of the group about the probable dangers in renovating old buildings. I am not a medical scientist.

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

"Terry W."

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Grow up

Reply to
gort

maybe so.

Do you have more info on this study Terry? Different methods of removal may make a fair difference.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

gort wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

One of the effects of lead poisoning is distubance to the brain.

Going by the intelligence levels of your replies, perhaps you ARE suffering the effects of lead poisoning.

My advice is that you get treatment AND give up your job :-)

Terry W

Reply to
Terry W.

No doubt we should also have no truck with these modern notions of antisepsis and drinking water treatment either.

Only because the rickets, cholera and King's Evil carried them off first.

Are you suggesting that we should go back to having a healthy dose of lead in the diet, because back then it was safe to leave your front doors open and the sun hadn't yet set on the Empire ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news:1167403968.702026.167400 @s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sorry, no discussion of types of removal took place.

It was a Case Report on the effects of lead poisoning on animals and a pregnant human.

It can be found at:

W.

Reply to
Terry W.

BTW remember that the trials of Thalidomide were vetted by medical experts.

Reply to
gort

Yup, and I have lead flashing on my roof for years, and it has not harmed me either...

Not really comparing like with like though is it?

Perhaps if you ground your solder down to a powder, atomised it into the air, and then had a good lung full on a regular basis you may find you get different results.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dishonest ones, who selected against unfavourable results.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Getting a beagle to smoke a 20 pack of Marlboro is easier than getting a hamster to use a soldering iron.

Reply to
Matt

Derek Geldard

Can I suggest that both of you do some reading? Neither statement is true.

Reply to
Huge

My dad was a painter from leaving school in 1940, he and his colleagues had to have their fingernails checked monthly, anyone who shown signs that they were nailbiters were sacked on the spot! - the thing is with lead poisoning is that it's cumulative...tiny amounts can enter the body without any kind of symptoms, but they build up over a period of time into something very dangerous indeed...lead poisoning damages the brain and kidneys, it can cause abdominal pain, constipation, vomitting and anaemia, it also causes reproductive problems in men.

Reply to
Phil L

"Terry W." typed

Umm...

I've not read that much of the current BMJ, which is the Christmas/New Year Bumper Edition, packed with entertaining anecdotes and various people's musings. I don't thik 'proper clinical trials' feature.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Just as an aside...

I wonder how much lead ingestion came from the paint fumes - and how much from dust. Many old houses were painted with a very dense primer/undercoat - which I presume would also have contained lead. This stuff ( whatever it is ) doesn't come off that well with a heat gun - it tends to need so much heat that the wood scorches, and when it does eventually melt enough to be shifted it very rapidly cools and sets. It can't be sanded - it'll clog a disc in a matter of seconds. It's very brittle, however, and can be scraped off ( with enough effing and blinding ), and in the process sheds a large quantity of dust.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard