Any recc CAT5 wiring tester ?

Looking to buy a CAT5 wiring tester, anybody got any recommendations ?

Something of the sort ....

this does not identify faults to individual pairs ...

Assume there must be ones that cycle through the pairs and identify any incorrect, reversed etc.

Reply to
Osprey

Maplins?

SJP

What do you want it to do, and how much do you want to pay?

I one I use is:

?moduleId=cpc/267531.xmlWhich will identify most wiring faults. It can also inject tones for following with at (separate) inductive amp wand. It does cable length measurement etc.

If you just want to test patch leads then it is overkill. If you need to trace and diagnose faults in installed cabling systems then it is very useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

dcbwhaley

Look at Videk

have used this testerwhile wiring a primry school ove the lat 3 years. It identifies bad connections (wires not fully punched down) and cross wired (uplink) leads It does not do speed tests, but the price is good

Ma;cp;m

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I've got a cheap, Chinese, one off E-bay that meets my needs. It cycles through each pin at the transmitter, automatically or by manually push-button. The receiver, which can be detached, should cycle through the same light pattern as the transmitter if the cable is wired as straight, 1-1, etc. If it is a reverse, then you have to know the reverse pattern to check it is correct. It also can used for USB A-A and A-B, RJ11/12 and, with a DIY adaptor, un-powered UK phone wiring, which I've found most useful...

It simply tests for continuity. It doesn't test for use of the correct wire pairs, so doesn't show a bad cable wired with

1-2, 3-4, 5-6 & 7-8 pairs instead of the correct 1-2, 3-6, 4-5 & 7-8 pairs

I like its simplicity, rather than the go/no-go testers that don't help you to find out what the problem is.

Reply to
JohnDW

You get very much what you pay for with these things. I've had the cheap ones a la Maplin and although they're good for what they are they're not a patch on the proper kit.

If it's just for occasional use then go for the cheapies. If you're wanting to use it for something more heavy duty then the extra money spent on something like a used Fluke or Wave/Lantek is very well spent.

Reply to
shaun

Actually, the one you show does do that - I've got one of them, although have bought a more thorough tester since.

The illustrated one cycles through the 4 pairs and will show discontinuities, reversed pairs, wrong sequences, so is OK for basic work over short distances.

It won't figure out distances to breaks in cable or anything more complex like that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We have a 'clone' of one of these, and it identifies which pair is at fault. A better choice is the ModTap version as this indicates some of the results at the remote end so if you are doing 2 man testing the 2nd man knows when to move onto the next pair [just waits for you to unplug your end] We use the ModTap daily for a quick test prior to using a Lantek6 [serious bit of kit] HTH

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

I've been using a Molex 33a-100-10 for 3 or 4 years. It's widely available and there's a good description on the RS site

master and remote clip together neatly for storage when not in used and it gives a clear indication of open circuit, shorted and out-of sequence pairs. It also checks screened cables and separate RJ45 sockets for 568a and 568b conventions make testing crossover cables a doddle, too!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

What is the RS part number? That is the only way to reliably get info from the RS site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Looks like 215-6391.

Styx

Reply to
Styx

It is indeed RS Stock no. 215-6391.

I didn't realise their site was such a pain to use - fortunate that I included the original Manufacturer's name and Part Number!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Maplins were running some special offers before Christmas, they had a CAT 5 tester for a few quid and when I got one it was even cheaper, less than a fiver.

It's a two-part jobby in a plastic case. Didn't see it listed on the link you offered. It appears to be ideal for casual users such as myself.

Reply to
Roly