Not cross-threading the new immersion heater

Oh very good, now explain why that's any different to hearing it in speech over the radio.
--
I asked a Chinese girl for her number. She said, "Sex! Sex! Sex! Free sex tonight!" I said, "Wow!" Then her friend said, "She means 666-3629."

Because quite a few words arent always pronounced the same.
On 28/12/2016 19:10, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It was bound to happen at some point;-)
I always expected that I would have deal with a infinite number of monkeys knocking at my front door waving around a typewritten Hamlet scrip before you got something right.
I was wrong.
So therefore Mr Pounder, I am going to wish you and yours a Happy New Year.
All the best for 2017.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

I was being funny, hence the :-)
I have got many things here right in the past. GB was one of the few to acknowledge. Many posters here just abandon the thread when they have fixed the problem.

Ha ha bloody ha.

On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 18:25:38 UTC, GB wrote:

Do remember to refill the cylinder before turning your new immersion heater on :-)
Owain
On 28/12/2016 19:25, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

From experience??
On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 19:30:48 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

I've had one or two interesting kettles where the boil dry cutout didn't.
Owain
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:24:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Had that at work many years with one of those kettles that ejected the plug from the side socket. Got distracted elswehere after putting it on for the first brew of the day, someone passing the door of the lab where this occured noticed and mentioned to me downstairs that they thought the new red light glowing on the bench was quite artistic. Fortunately it was on a heat resistant surface , somehow I had placed too close to the wall and the plug could not eject and the spring was not strong enough to move the kettle. Despite this mistreatment this kettle was still functioning when I moved jobs a year later. Probably took the introduction of PAT testing to finish it.
G.Harman
On 12/28/2016 6:25 PM, GB wrote:

I was going to advise wire brushing the female threads, either with a hand brush or with a small "wheel" type in a power drill. You often get limescale "filling" the normal clearance between the tips and roots of the mating threads. I find it is worth putting a thicker than normal wrap of PTFE tape on the male part provided you can clean the female properly, say ten turns of "water" tape rather than the conventional 3-4. Less space for limescale to build up.
On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 21:33:55 UTC, newshound wrote:

Parallel threads are not intended to seal. Taper threads are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_pipe
On 12/29/2016 4:40 PM, harry wrote:

FFS I know that. Read the bloody post.

Remember - it is a single start thread so you may need to turn quite a way before it engages. I find turning backwards until you feel it drop into the start point helps.
On 29/12/2016 14:30, DerbyBorn wrote:

I tried that. In the end, I found the start of each of the two threads by running my thumbnail along, then matched them up against each other.

I've always unscrewed the new one until I feel a click and then screw it in, with all threaded stuff. Never cross threaded that way.