Dash Cams - Sensible purchase?

Maybe it's a frame rate thing ?

I mentioned my failure examples and a couple of folk suggested the SD Card just wasn't up to the rate of video.

At the end of the day thought I don't care why it failed. It did. Luckily with no consequences. The dog incident was broad daylight on an Axxx road near Frome. No other cars around - or people. This mutt shot out of a hedge and took a diagonal course across the road. After it f***ed off I had to take a moment to calm down and nobody appeared from anywhere, so it was just off a lead.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Got a mirror type for the mustang £8 from chinky land and £12 ones for the other two cars from Tesco 32 gb cards

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Damn clever, foxes. In 1958 I was in Borough on the Hill, Leicestershire, and saw a fox in a cage in a front garden, in the centre of the village, so I photographed it with my new Kodak Brownie

127 camera, cost 27s 6d. I still have the negatives and the prints, including a perfectly composed and exposed image of the fox cage, but no sign of the fox.
Reply to
Peter Johnson

The usual assumption is that birds will fly up before you hit them.

I ran over a pigeon once; I heard it hit its head on the underside of my car, looked in the rear view mirror and it was wandering drunkenly. The car following swerved to miss it so I expect it was all right apart from a headache.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well no, because it's so unusual for me to even imagine I was speeding that I always look as soon as I get home.

It always has done so far. But it's good to take another look and consider if I'd done the absolute best thing. The last one was when a lorry came across the white line and I had to swerve. I was certain I'd been on the right side of the road but memory can play tricks so I wanted to check.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

With a lot of birds actually swerving guaranties that you hit them. If aiming directly for them, and they can gain a little height, the airflow over the top of your car takes the bird over the top of the car.

This doesn't work with Pheasants as they will not even move out of the way when even driving slowly towards them.

Reply to
alan_m

No surprise really. They?re jungle birds. Their instinct is to either run or fly low (as jungle canopy would normally limit vertical flight). Of course, that?s why they?re bred for shooting. Hooray Henry?s couldn?t shoot something that was actually hard to hit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Rolling shutter effect.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I see your bigotry is on display. Put it away. Round here the largest shooters of pheasants are Arab billionaires.

Followed by farm workers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Big difference between driven and rough shooting! Snipe and Woodcock more challenging.

All a long while ago now. The move to steel shot is devaluing a lot of treasured weapons.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Get another brand then! Mine is a no-name Chinese random brand for ~£40 that I got because a white van man in a right turn lane went straight across my path as I was about to turn right from the other direction.

Filter lights were go for right turning traffic *only*.

The first time I got a deer it was in front of the car ahead but was clearly visible if rather small. The second time I had one run out in front of me requiring a full emergency stop. The camera swung skywards so from the moment I braked hard the only bit of the deer you could see was its ears as it sauntered past the bonnet. I thought it was about 6s from seeing it to stationary. When I played it back it was just 2s!

It also caught my view of a major incident on the M62 where I was the first car on the scene not to impact with the one in front. Thankfully I was protected front and rear by HGVs who also managed to stop.

The one in front of me hit a car but he had no choice since it came literally out of nowhere having bounced off the central reservation and across his path. My Dashcam wasn't required as his professional grade one had a better wide angle view of events from a higher vantage point.

Despite giving a statement at the scene I was never informed about the outcome of case against the driver who caused the collision.

I wouldn't be without mine since I don't trust other drivers.

Mine saves blocks of 3m or 5m until it fills the card when it overwrites the oldest one in sequence. Shocks and bumps cause locked segments and eventually on North Yorkshire's wonderfully maintained (NOT) potholed roads it ends up with all segments locked and bleats "memory card full".

I missed a close-up of a buzzard on road kill because of that.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote: [...]

ahem...

Reply to
Sn!pe

Very rare here. Hunted Snipe fly zig zags. Way beyond my ability or choice. I have shot Woodcock but not in 30 years.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We're shy and retiring birds at heart, we usually tick the [no publicity] box.

(home movie in .sig in case anybody is interested)

Reply to
Sn!pe

Very good!

Lapwing used to nest here. Laid eggs on the Spring Barley ground and then walked the chicks down to the river bank.

I guess different cropping (now permanent grass) didn't suit plus plenty of Foxes/ Badgers and general public roaming dogs.

I suppose the Red Kites must be eating something as well.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

alan_m

Hmm.. Makes a bit of a mockery of *the balance of nature* if you feed a top predator.

There are a few here so we see them most days. Don't get on too well with the local Crows.

As with all re-introduced/protected species, you have to wonder what impact it has on existing food chains. They are said to take Rabbits but I have never seen it happen.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are a few places in Wales that do the same - mainly as a tourist attraction.

Friends of mine live in rural Shropshire and when visiting I saw them every day. It's usually the Buzzards that get well and truly mobbed when they turn up.

In some areas there is a lot of road kill.

Reply to
alan_m

There are lots of them above the M40 on Stokenchurch Hill. They seem to find plenty of road kill.

Reply to
charles

very arty, but what are they eating?

Reply to