dashboard cams

Can anyone recommend ones to buy ? Or ones to avoid ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

No particular view myself, but this guy's entertaining and seemingly knowledgeable.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Look for the "In car camera thread" Jan 2014

Reply to
Capitol

It rather depends what you want it for. For providing evidence in the case of an accident, one of the Roadhawk cameras is difficult to better:

When there is an impact, they make a separate recording of 10 seconds either side of the impact. They also use GPS to record the vehicle position and speed, although the last may not be an advantage for every driver.

If you simply want something to record motor sports, there are cheaper cameras about.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The one I have been seriously tempted by is the Blackvue range. More specifically the 2 chanel one that has a linked front and rear camera.

Only trouble is I don't think the connecting lead is long enough to reach the back of a LWB transporter. Video footage on youtube looks pretty impressive though and it's got a handy wi-fi server built in too. :)

Sweet.

Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

If you use an iPhone then the free "Witness" app works well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I run AutoGuard BlackBox on my android phone:

which is clipped to the dash as a GPS.

Samsung S2 did not like doing that and being a GPS all at once by my new Samsung Note 3 takes it in its stride (more CPU and RAM).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'll have to try that one. I currently have Daily Roads Voyager installed, tried a view others but didn't get on with them. DRV on my SIIImini freezes the recordinga for a second every now an again if you mute the sound, fine with sound enabled... Known problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

has really good reviews

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

What didn't it like?

With my HTC desire I have run into a similar problem as when I tried the ip cam app. It gets hot and the cigar lighter charger cannot keep up, it warns me to use a mains charger except I have found the hTC can only accept 0.42A.

I'd try it with the samsung s3 but that has played up since it upgraded and the battery life is pants.

AJH

Reply to
news

Too many apps running at once - RAM and CPU issues.

My Note 3 has 3GB RAM and 4 CPU cores - that has no issues. S2 has only 1GB RAM and that runs tight a lot of the time.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Delighted with one of these, for the money (£74 with GPS):

Mike Barnes

Maybe an inward facing one to record those dogging nights out.

Reply to
ARW