dashcam problems

New Nextbase 322gw with rear window cam module.

When the rear module is plugged in the camera freezes. Tried all different start up procedures but no difference. Back to shop where they gave me a new rear camera module to try out but same problem. They didn't have a new camera so I just took a refund.

Has anyone any experience of this model of Nextbase dash cam or any experience of Nextbase dash cams ? I'm undecided about getting another one, especially online, as I don't need this grief, but the rear camera module on this makes installation very easy as it is clipped to the side of the camera itself so no dragging wires through the car

Reply to
fred

Make sure the SD card is up to it. Lot of inferior knockoffs aren't as theres a lot of fakes out there.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One possibility if the same SD card is being used in both cameras?

During normal operation these types of camera record continuously to the sd card and when the recording gets to the end of the card it starts at the beginning overwriting the most historic data.

Until..... you have an accident or more likely the camera falls off the screen or you jolt the car by driving into a pothole etc. This triggers the cameras inbuilt accident detection mechanism which then writes protects the last x minutes of recording on the sd card.

The next time the camera is used, or continues to be used, the normal recording of video to the sd card takes place until it meets the section/file which is write protected. At this point the recording will stop and maybe the cause of your freeze.

On my older dash cam which did this the cure was a format of the sd card to remove the write protected file. My dash cam manual recommends an occasional reformat of the sd card.

Reply to
alan_m

Reply to
fred

Our dashcam (Transcend Drivepro 220) has two folders: one for the circular writing of the last n hours, and another for protected files that are triggered by sudden motion detection and which record 30 seconds before and

30 seconds after the trigger point (to give the lead up to and the aftermath of the collision). The normal circular writing can only overwrite files in its own folder; the ones in the protected folder accumulate and gradually use up the SD card space.

Every few months I take the card out of the camera and manually delete any files in the protected folder apart from ones we want to keep which I copy to a computer.

There is also a red button on the camera so a passenger can trigger the writing to the protected folder manually, separate from motion detection.

I would look at type/size of SD card. Our Transcend is happy with up to (I think) 64 GB cards but not 128 or larger. 64 covers the last few hours driving: I think we worked out that it would cover one return journey to work for my wife, so if there was anything we wanted to examine that was

*not* in the protected folder, we needed to look at it that evening or else it would be overwritten by the following day's journey to work. I bought a 128 GB card and found that the camera wrote fine to it for about an hour but then it errored. It failed when it had used much less than the 64 GB of a card that worked.
Reply to
NY

The rear view camera has a USB connector or what looks like one, and it seems to plug into the side of the screen portion.

Did you plug in the camera "hot", while the screen was running on the screen portion ?

Have you tried turning off the screen portion, plugging in the rearview camera "cold", then switching on the main screen, so that the unit can boot the firmware with the item attached ?

It could be a power related problem. Perhaps as the driver is configuring the rear view camera, the camera draws too much power and annoys the main unit.

"This Nextbase Dash Cam senses power supplied to the cigarette lighter socket as soon as the vehicle ignition is turned on and will start to record automatically."

"LEDs

Top: Blue

- The Blue LED will be on while the Dash Cam is charging. It will turn off when charging is complete, even if the Dash Cam is still plugged in.

Bottom: Red

The Red LED is permanently on while the Dash Cam is active. It will flash while recording."

"Connect car power cable

Connect the supplied car power cable to the Dash Cam Mount?s USB port. Do NOT connect the power cable to the USB port on the Dash Cam."

"For best recording use a branded class 10 type (48MB/s), U3, or UHS type 1 micro SD card of 8 to 128GB recommended size."

Well, that's a lot better than the SD in my camera.

33,159,794 bytes

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Suggestion here is defective rear camera.

I would try to run the rear camera without the cabling if possible, just to verify the camera works. It could be that the cable is an issue. One person claims the freezing happens if the long cable is connected, but there is no rear camera plugged in at the far end.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's a 'Which' best buy. Perhaps enough said?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I have these in all three vehicles and I think they are excellent.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

i bought a 522 version with the rear cam as well in august this year and whish i had never touched one, during the 4 weeks i had it it froze many times, stopped recording, wouldnt switch off and i had to reset and format the sd card before it would work again, in sept i took it back to currys and they gave me a replacement of the same model which i have had now for a week and a half and its doing the same thing, my car got bumped coming out of tesco tonight and sped off i thought no prob got it on cam and supprise when looked at footage it had stopped recording and frozen 25 mins earlier, do not touch this cam

Reply to
okdude

I also had this model and when I plugged the rear camera in it worked for about 30 second's before the camera turned off, it would intermittently decide to work when it felt like it, no good to me. Tried different SD cards costing me a small fortune!!. Previously to this one I had a cheap Chinese camera integrated into the rear view mirror, this thing lasted years and years. I binned the Nextbase and went back to an integrated rear view mirror type, does the job at a fraction of the price and without hassle.

Reply to
Carl66

they don't work too well in left hand drive cars....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I haven't used this model of dashcam yet, but I have used Autoboss's in-car head-up display.

of these are pretty good. The main difference is that Autool has more functions. For people who drive cars, this is important.

Reply to
Danky Zhuang

YEP, completely useless functions that all drivers want, and only for $109.

Reply to
alan_m

Yeah I've had this problem happen twice now, 2 replaced full units, and both are faulty... What's this suggest? Nextbase =crap

Reply to
phil