Lawnmower electric motor problems

I have a Wolf-Garten lawnmower with a 1600W electric motor. A couple of years ago the motor would not rotate and just gave a loud hum on trying to start. It was checked by the service agents (fortunately still under guarantee), and repaired by changing the capacitor. Last week it seemed to have developed the same fault, so I replaced the capacitor (30uF

450v). Unfortunately this did not cure the fault, and the only way I could get the mower to start was to push the blade with a long stick! But once stopped (eg to empty the grass box) I had to use the stick method to start it again. Neither convenient nor safe...

So I took the motor apart. It would not rotate until I got the non-spindle end casing off. I found damage on the non-spindle end of the rotor (ie the end furthest from the blade), apparently caused by a spring-loaded part (see red arrow at

which appeared to be caused by the part marked with the blue arrow. There were three of these which were extensions of the dome at the left. I sprayed WD40 on both ends of the dome and succeeded in moving it. It then moved freely up and down the rear rotor spindle on hidden springs. The movement allowed the extension parts to hit the rotor parts showing damage. I guess this is a brake intended to have a similar purpose to that at
Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, on replacing everything, including the old capacitor, the motor started well, but there were definite clonking noises as it started. I haven't tried mowing the lawn yet, but will have to in the next couple of days. The motor (marked Ningbo Racing/Hujiang Electric 1116000) ?will probably need replacing but doesn't seem to be available, having perhaps been replaced by the GJC-1600 at although I can't see any suppliers of that in the UK either.

Anyone got experience with this type of motor?

Reply to
Jeff Layman