Country lanes - no curbs

You aren't holding up traffic if you are travelling at the maximum safe speed or the limit (whichever is lower).

Reply to
dennis

I thought he was talking about tractors when he said that. I doubt if he has one. He was wrong anyway as they tend to be like JCBs and lack suspension so they bounce about and skip when braking on uneven surfaces like rural roads.

Reply to
dennis

I don't have a tractor. But I do know people who do.

Most tractors run big rimmed but lowish pressure tures I thinmk. I had a series III wiyth 'MOD' tryres - like tractor yes - on it. Pretty good braking on those, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The modern ones have independent suspension and are designed to be equally at home pulling 30T trailers at 45mph+ on roads as in fields. How small hill farmers get conned into buying them I don't know, but they seem to be de rigeur nowadays. Still not ideal down a 1 in 3 hill with a heavy trailer and braking from 30mph, as our neighbour recently found out.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

To be fair, you may be holding up inconsiderate, homicidal morons. Statistically that's probably quite common.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I have a J reg. David Brown on cross plies:-) The others are radial ply rears, cross ply fronts. Tractors of that age are usually rear wheel drive/brake only.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wasn't aware people had to justify their choice of vehicle to anyone, let alone you.

When were you appointed?

Reply to
Brian Reay

So few roads in this country are 1 in 3 that coupled with the fact that you would have to be an idiot to go down one with a heavy trailer at 30 mph that it looks like you have destroyed your point by exaggeration.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I think there's a good chance that T i m is actually Neil Kinnock. It would explain the wooly thinking, the specious waffling, the outpourings of statements of the bleeding obvious, and the total inability to convince anyone here of anything.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There wasn't a point, it was merely an event. I don't know how fast he was going, but when he braked the trailer pushed the tractor off the road down a bank into someone's out buildings. Too fast as it turned out.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Where have I even tried to do that? Sounds like some sort of guilt complex with you and yer 1.7 tonne SUV? ;-)

See above.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

WTF are you drooling on about now left brainer?

Non robot, yes.

It's a discussion group mate, Twatter is that way >>>>

Bwhahaha (bless).

Anyone, or just the close minded left brainers and / or those Brexiteers who are so convinced they are 100% right and the other

2/3rds of the electorate are wrong?

People in glass houses ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

well as I've trined to explain I;d rather be a left brainer than a right brainer.

Left brainer :- Linear thinking, maths, logic, facts. Right brainer :- imagination, rythum , holistic thinking, arts.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I must say, driving an ancient hilux after the Top Gear incident generated an undeserved level of road respect:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yeah, daughter ex (who you met) had one exactly the some colour, age and spec as the Top Gear one and they used to regularly drive back and forth to Scotland in it, often full to the brim (it had a Truckman top).

It was probably lighter than Brian's SUV and no, I wouldn't want to be hit by either, in my regular family saloon car. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Legally allowed to retain the OE bullbars!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well the new ones only get a three star rating in the crash tests. The old ones must be really bad.

Having looked at the crash tests I wonder why the curtain bags go off in a frontal impact.

They do get more stars if you have the active safety systems as you are less likely to test the actual crash systems. I did notice the system avoided an adult pedestrian but killed a child so don't be too short.

Reply to
dennis

The driver.

It wouldn't matter if the limit was 60 MPH (the speed limit is a limit it is NOT a recommended speed or anything like that). An appropriate speed would be one where you can cope with the unforeseen.

No-where do you indicate she was 'running out' between parked cars (if she had then it would take a fuller knowledge of the facts to ascertain blame) so the driver will have seen her for quite some distance.

Knowing it was likely a tourist area (1066 and all that) I would have slowed right down (better to get honked at from behind than to kill someone).

Reply to
soup

or even cobbled ones . This you Mark?

(I know it's a bridge layer not a tank [though based on a tank chassis])

Reply to
soup

I have no plans to replace it! Underpowered, heavy on fuel and subject to wheel balance issues. Handy for 8 x 4 sheets and 1 ton payload though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb