Country lanes - no curbs

But are ideal for not worrying about stuffing into the hedge and just the right size to force an owner of an SUV who is less keen to to go BlackBerry picking with the wing mirror to do the same. I had a succession of Diesel Astra estates as company cars for years, about half I bought off the company and gave to my Dad, he was a Farmer, so was my brother and I got him one as well.

Though to be fair the last one I got them was around 2002 reg so before they got bigger and more delicate likes lots of cars have done.

Can you get a pallet in the rear of an Astra estate now. (Normal, not an Astramax van)?

GH

Reply to
Marland

Ah. A year or so ago I met a fuel anker on such a road and was treavveling too fast to stop, But the trusty 4WD scraped past at 45 degrees with two wheels up the bank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Round here we have green central lines...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I couldnt even get up my drove without one in wet weather or snow

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

emselves.

Same thing with us.Our local roads are like the surface of the moon.

Reply to
harry

Removing the centre line is only proven to reduce speeds, by around

5-9mph, where the limit is 30mph or less. On rural roads, the presence of a centre line is useful as it shows that the road is at least 5.5 metres wide.
Reply to
Nightjar

also useful at night to show where the road is going - especially for drivers with older cars/eyes :(

Reply to
Robin

Richard Jones

Doesn't work.

Reply to
Dave W

I tried pasting Richard Jones's reference (without editing) into Google Maps, and got here:

Then went to StreetView but could only find this widening near the spot:

Dave W

I saw a study which seemed to indicate a grass strip up the centre of the road reduced speed most, whether this only applied to single track roads I don't know.

AJH

Reply to
news

Quite right. I would like a law to stop land owners having trees etc within a couple of feet or a roads edge.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Interesting that one road in our village no longer has a centre white line except where it goes under a railway bridge.

Reply to
charles

I drove down the road at the coordinates above, today. Street-viewing it doesn't do it justice. There are places where the banks are 30 feet high, with vertical chalk cliffs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Being most 4X4's are quite tall, with the two n/s wheels up a bank it would be setting the vehicle at 45 degree angle *towards* the tanker (by a fair percentage of the height of the vehicle).

The only way that could have happened and it helping was if it was a lower car based 4X4?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I regularly that my Tank for a drive up our single track lane as a traffic calming measure, amazing how useless some SUV type people are at reversing

-
Reply to
Mark

Yes it does.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So why are we needing kerbs here anyway? Kerbs are to keep cars away from pedestrians, and I can't see any.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nice. ;-) [1]

This (driving a 'tank') is often used by folk as a way of 'protecting them and their family' but they are either unaware ... or are and simply don't care that the only way that will work is if they crash into something smaller, putting other peoples families at greater risk. ;-(

Of course this game only ends when we are all driving tanks. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] We have spend some good time at the Bovington Tank Museum, behind the scenes at Duxford with a 'Friend of Duxford' and the Muckleburgh Military Collection (and rode in a what I think was a BV 206)?
Reply to
T i m

You don't have to believe everything he says. I do however think he is a nutter for driving beyond his abilities.

Reply to
dennis