Country lanes - no curbs

Well I believe studies have shown that the driving standard drops as the perceived (driver) safety increases. The number of accidents went up after the mandatory use of safety belts was introduced etc.

Didn't I hear suggestion of our current MBT, the Challenger 2 (?) is now pretty long in the tooth and really needs replacing?

The K2 Black Panther looks like it's as nasty as an Apache or a Warthog?

Or park in your attached garage I'm guessing.

I bet, especially on a nice 180.

I'm assuming there wouldn't be that much traction on a solid paved road, compared with something a bit softer anyway?

Do you also have the means to transport these things Mark, should the need arise?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure of the road name- main road running through Battle, I think there was a supermarket tucked away behind on one side. There was a modernish development with a French road name which we thought was a bit funny. We'd had lunch in the place opposite the Abbey (been there a few times- very good) and were having a walk.

Nice place, I've been that way a few times in the last year or so. Powder Mills do very good lunches.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Your own reference states:

"Regardless of what you drive, all experts agree that how you drive is the most important safety factor. Human performance and behavior factors contribute to more than 90 percent of crashes, according to NHTSA."

(From:

)

If you don't hit another car, large or small, then size really doesn't matter.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Irrelevant mate.

The discussion was:

"This (driving a 'tank') is often used by folk as a way of 'protecting them and their family' but they are either unaware ... or are and simply don't care that the only way that will work is if they crash into something smaller, putting other peoples families at greater risk. ;-("

*Nothing* to do with driving styles, *everything* to do with bigger is safer.

My point (which still stands and is supported by all the research) is that *IF* you buy a *bigger vehicle* because it would make it safer for *your family* then statistically you are only making it safer for

*your family* at the expense of *everyone else in a std / smaller vehicle's family*.

Given that the vast majority of 'other people' on the road will be ordinary people in smaller vehicles again statistically someone in a bigger vehicle is 'more likely' to hit someone in a 'smaller vehicle' than hitting a 'larger vehicle'.

I've not mentioned anything about anything else other than that.

The idea of buying a bigger vehicle with any though of it being 'safer' for you and your family also means taking up more room (even if it only 1"), using more fuel / mile, therefore creating more pollution / mile and doing more damage to the road / mile (than a typical smaller (lighter) car of the same era).

Now, if you bought a 'bigger vehicle' because you had a bigger family or needed to tow a caravan or regularly carry bulky items (a wheelchair etc) then you may have simply bought said vehicle for wholly / only practical purposes. e.g. The fact that it happens to be 'safer' than and at the cost of a smaller vehicle is by the by.

I made and have not made any judgment on anyone buying a 'bigger vehicle' so anyone jumping on me is potentially doing so because of guilt or misunderstanding?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

some 20 years ago, a cartoon in the Telegraph had the following words: we want our child to have plenty of space, security & plenty of fresh air. So wev'e bought a large 4x4 with central locking and air conditioning.

Reply to
charles

Brexit.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Climate change

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Margaret Thatcher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds about right. ;-)

This whole 'bigger is safer' is similar to the 'loud pips save lives' some of the bikers use, carrying a bigger knife than the next guy, or an automatic rifle instead of a pistol.

It's all escalation that rarely has a happy ending, especially for the guy with a small knife. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yep in the end size does matter ;-)

Anyway perhaps we should support trumps idea, although he only wants teache rs to have guns, what about us technicains, but personally I'd prefer my ow n nuclear deterrent, obviously I'd only use it if theatened and as a last r esult in self defence or the defence of others, but if I find the student that destroyed my dremel 3000 yesterday !!!!!!!

Reply to
whisky-dave

Rue De Bayeux Battle, 1066, Harold and William, Tapestry ! ;( (there used to be a Coaching inn on that site with stabling at the rear)

-
Reply to
Mark

It depends on the visibility, if the driver could see the woman and it was obvious she was going to be in the way then the driver should have been able to slow down without emergency braking. Its usually quite easy to spot pedestrians that are going to bolt if you can see them.

Reply to
dennis

Hard luck then as you have to drive to your ability not that of someone behind.

Reply to
dennis

Yet again TNP proves he is an idiot.

Reply to
dennis

You did post this just after discussions about an actual tank started.

Reply to
dennis

Would that be the one that ended up in the pedestrian subway a couple of miles from me?

Reply to
dennis

It's a "highway", shared use between pedestrians (who have a right to be there), horse riders (who have a right to be there), cyclists (who I think have a right to be there) and vehicle drivers (who have 'permission' to be there if they have the right licences etc.).

The 'road' isn't just for cars/lorries.

Reply to
Chris Green

You 'left brainers' . ;-)

Obviously, this didn't give any clues ...

"This (driving a 'tank') is often used by folk as a way of 'protecting them and their family' but they are either unaware ... or are and simply don't care that the only way that will work is if they crash into something smaller, putting other peoples families at greater risk. ;-("

Yeah, you see it every weekend, ordinary families going about their business diving (actual) battle tanks on the main roads. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A sensible safe speed that will allow the Chelsea Tractor to stop in a safe distance may be higher than an ordinary car, but it's a lot less than a proper car.

Inconsiderate works both ways - when you squash something small by going too fast, and when you hold up traffic by going too slow.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

What kind of tyres do you have?