Country lanes - no curbs

Of course, I was keeping it simple for those who habitually drive considerably too fast. The worst problems are on roads that are variable in width where people hope with a bit of luck they might get past someone. Many tend to be a bit more sensible on very narrow roads.

Or a sheep hidden in the hedge thinks it best to return to its own side when it sees you coming.

Agreed. The point at which I visibly irritate tractor drivers behind me is probably about right.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Do you think I would Brian?

Are you a Brexiteer? You seem to be 'convinced' about things without any real clue or reason to be?

By 'those' I'm guessing you would think I suggested 'all', whereas I

*clearly* stated my logic only relates to those who bought a bigger car as a consideration that it would make their families safer.

Again, putting (bogus) words into my mouth Brian?

Ok?

What??? Whisky-dave, is this you?

Duh.

You clearly have a 'bigger car' which you purchased with the increased safety of your family in mind?

Tell me what is bogus about the likely outcome to the human contents of both vehicles in as big collision (all other things being equal)?

Whoosh mate. Put them on a weighbridge and compare the heights of the 'bumpers' to those on a std saloon car and come back to me. Irrespective you won't be arguing with me, you will be arguing with official road safety research. (But you really didn't need me to point this out did you)? eg

"In its studies, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has found that a heavier vehicle will typically push a lighter one backward during the impact. As a result, there is less force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on those in the lighter vehicle, according to IIHS. The organization's fatality data bears this out. The lowest 2015 death rate by vehicle type is for very large SUVs: 13 deaths per million registered vehicles. The highest is for mini cars: 64 deaths per million registered vehicles."

I never said it was .... however, our daughter chose a Transit Connect over a std Transit because it was narrower than the std van and therefore not only able to access narrower places easier but also much easier to drive in traffic as she could still get though car width gaps.

I know ...

So the question is, did you buy any of them on the thought that your family would be 'safer' in them in the event of a serious accident, simply because of their size? If you didn't, you are not the people I'm talking about. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You mean the drivers around there are unsafe for pedestrians!

Reply to
dennis

Probably a 40kph gearbox and a high seating position with much better road vision than a saloon car.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

[47 lines snipped]

And deeply shit roadholding, cornering and braking performance.

Reply to
Huge

Because they can see over the hedges and you cant?

Yes. You are a crap driver

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Braking is pretty good actually

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh well, never mind.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You unable to read?

Reply to
Tim Streater

We read. We disagreed. Very few roads are unsafe for pedestrians, giant sinkholes apart. It is negligent drivers of motorised vehicles who are a danger.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You unable to read either? I said: "Most of the roads round here are unsafe for pedestrians", and Den replied: "You mean "

No, I didn't mean , I meant what I wrote.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Christ you are an an idiot.

I bet you believe that a gun without someone to load it aim it and fire it also is dangerous...

And that no one has ever been killed by a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There have been a number of court cases recently where a cyclist colliding with apedestian had resulted in that perdestrian dying.

Reply to
charles

It does seem as this idea that I have a huge suv/offroader with 10 air bags so im safe and every one can get out of MY way is behind some peoples driving.

but just in case, ;( I have an even bigger Tank which the turret gun sticks out a good 10 feet in front as a crash barrier FV4201 unfortunately unlike the FV101 its too wide to go up the single track road without taking out all the power and telegraph poles and it dosent have any rubber inserts on the tracks which tends to make a real mess of tarmac roads

-
Reply to
Mark

No-one gives a shit about you, D i m.

Reply to
Huge

I don't own anything that young but I don't think deeply cleated tyres are particularly bad at road holding. Large footprint due to low pressure radials. Acceleration not comparable with a car but they can stop sharpish. Tractors had power steering from way back.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We were walking in Battle today, a little after lunch time. The we were on the pavement, the road was quite wide and busy. I'm not sure what the limit was, probably 30mph. The road was certainly busy enough and the traffic moving so freely that, had I wished to cross, I'd have looked for a crossing or, as min, somewhere with an central 'island' etc.

Unfortunately, not everyone shows such caution. A woman of, perhaps

30-40 decided to try and run across the road. She 'made it' but only because a car had better brakes/the driver had better reactions than her running ability. She blamed the driver, at least judging by her shouts.

Who would you blame?

Reply to
Brian Reay

He doesn't seem to grasp the concept that the idea ISN'T to crash into anyone or anything.

I wonder where he learned to drive, the dodgems?

Reply to
Brian Reay

In Battle where? Hight Street, beginning of north trade road? people and school kids are always crossing those roads so 30mph is too fast having said that the is always the exception of the clot that steps out from behind a parked car in the high street

-
Reply to
Mark

And you don't seem to grasp the concept that I have grasped more of the concepts than you from the beginning. But then I'm not trying to justify myself?

'Huge' (describing his ego) is just a sad troll.

Why on earth are you spouting such nonsense Brian?

I didn't make up the stats ... ? (eg)

"However, the average SUV poses nearly twice the risk to drivers of other vehicles as do the average midsize and large cars. The net result is that the combined risk of the average SUV (129) is about 25 to 30 percent higher than that of the average midsize (105) or large car (100)."

"You might notice that this list is heavy on SUVs, with few small or subcompact cars.

That's really just a matter of physics. If two vehicles, both of which perform equally well in crash tests, meet each other in a real-world wreck, the occupants of the smaller, lighter vehicle will likely fare worse."

Those facts are *nothing* to do with driving skills and everything to do with relative masses. As a maths teacher I would have thought you would be able to deal with statistics and some science?

So, I repeat, anyone deliberately choosing a big vehicle because it is safer than a small vehicle is only enjoying that 'advantage' at the cost of those in the smaller vehicles.

What seems ironic / coincidental is that it's only those who may well fall under my question who is desperately trying to avoid the science.

Fact, the occupants of bigger vehicles typically survive better than the occupants of smaller vehicles (when everything else is equal).

Fact, if you buy a bigger vehicle because or with the consideration that you and your will be 'safer' in an accident, you are statistically only going to be doing so at the cost to someone else.

Fact, the above has *nothing* to do with anyone's personal driving style (so you can wind you neck in). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m