Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

We are always at home.

If we work, we work from home.

WE assumed, that was what homes were for...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are several secure delivery boxes on the market to cope with that problem. For example:

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I guess that's why Argos were delivering "next day" parcels at 10 o'clock last night.Jolly Russian driver doing a good Father Xmas impression.

Reply to
stuart noble

funkyoldcortina

AFAIK, 100% markup is pretty commonplace in retail.

Unless you're Apple, in which case it's 300%.

Reply to
Huge

I lived in Malta as a child (some 45 years ago) and you couldn't get fresh cow's milk there, then. As a result, I acquired a taste for sterilised and condensed milk which I've never quite lost.

Reply to
Huge

We live in the middle of nowhere, so it's not an issue here.

This doesn't inspire confidence, either;

Fatal error: Call to undefined function show_home_page_products() in /mounted-storage/home37c/sub003/sc30082-APQQ/asgardsss.co.uk/sub-site7.php on line 107

Reply to
Huge

I think that is the ONLY advantage of having a partner who is too ill to go out.

Reply to
polygonum

Being single and nowadays somewhere between housebound & bedbound a lot of the time, my approach to shopping etc has had to change. I can tell you that semi-skimmed milk can be frozen ok; it will thaw ok up to an age of about two-three months, but after that I find it stays separated (and horrible). So I always have a few 1pt cartons in the freezer.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Asda's minimum order value is £25.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Tesco only make 5% profit before tax on turnover, which is nearly impossible to reconcile when you look at how much they pay producers in the UK.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Go to one of their small high street garage stores. They are awash with staff - even although there are few on the tills. Now compare to a privately owned garage with shop. Only a couple of people.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Main reason why I started to have Milk from a Milk and More Milkman as they will deliver it. Pay more than supermarket prices but then I don't have to use fuel to do an 8 mile round trip just for some milk . The ability to order on line the night before means I can just get it when required rather leave notes like in the old days,pay by Direct debit so no cash to be left out either. Only seen the chap once in 6 months when I was up quite late waiting to shoot a rat and he came extra early at 2.30am. We surprised each other. G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I bet you did!

I'm picturing you live in the middle of nowhere.

Milkman comes round in desolate location, meets bloke stalking out in the middle of the night with a shotgun and has a Tony Martin moment!

Reply to
Tim Watts

The bit that winds me up is that they then take the packages back to the local office and wait for me to collect them the next day - except that they open at 07:00 by which time I'm at work or well on my way there and close at 12:30, when some people might have a chance of getting there at lunchtime - yet the main post-office next door is open 'til 17:30, but has no access to the collections office!!!

The only sensible solution to deliveries would be to allow people to choose whether to have a delivery (set time band on set day); agreement to deliver to a neighbour; or collection from an area warehouse capable of handling everything from CDs up to chest-freezers.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No. Been there when my wife was ill for a long period and had more than one occassion where the postie has been off ill and the replacement couldn't be bothered bringing packages out, so had pre-written "tried to deliver" cards and pushed them through the door without knocking or ringing.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's what the books say. Tesco will have good accountants. Good accountants shuffle things about and play the rules to minimise any tax liabilty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ITYM Tesco only pay tax on the 5% profit that the IR can find them liable for.

-
Reply to
Mark

Profit in the P&L accounts and profit for tax purposes are different things. Tesco and other companies very rarely seek to understate profit in the P&L accounts: investors don't like low profits so the share price falls; and top managers' bonuses tend to depend on the profits and/or share price.

Reply to
Robin

We've had stuff dropped off for collection at the sub PO in the village with a note through the door. Very convenient.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew