Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

Ocado put a minimum guaranteed life for each product on their website.

And missing or sub items are pretty uncommon, as they can have much better stock control

Reply to
chris French

In message , tim...... writes

Yup.

I don't eat meat, but if I did and was buying a week ahead I'd stick it in the freezer (actually, I'd probably buy it from the village butcher about 300 m away.....)

Nah. Most of our stuff is online but I still find reason to pop and get the odd thing from the supermarket - (wouldn't make a special trip, but when passing). I don't mind a quick pop in to get half a dozen items, but a full shop is just tedious, and a faff, esp. as I would normally have 2 kids with me as well. Much rather sit at the kitchen table with a cuppa :-)

Reply to
chris French

Dont tell me, you are Muslim and they sent Israeli ones instead of Moroccan...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are very good but unfortunately their lower limit is too high for m= y =

Mum

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

IIRC, that was the old sterilised milk from wartime days which some got the taste for and continued with after fresh became available again.

UHT has a very different taste from sterilised. But I'd rather have just plain old fresh stuff the supermarkets sell. If I do run out I'll have creamer powder in my coffee.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whey protein is one which amuses me. "Buy this, it's marvellous and healthy stuff". Quietly ignoring the fact it's a bit of a byproduct.

Reply to
Clive George

Cravendale will tell you if you ask, but basically it's sieving it to get the big bacteria out.

Reply to
Clive George

Oh come on.

If you buy stuff to use by tomorrow then you didn't sort through the pile properly.

It's impossible to get meat more than about 6 days ahead, however hard you try

tim

Reply to
tim......

Most people I used to supply to when I was a manufacturer worked on at least a 100% markup to cover their own overheads.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And a real pain for us, there are quite a few Waitrose products that are not handled by Ocado. And vice versa.

The end result is that whatever we try to do, we end up in more than one shop/supermarket every weekend.

Reply to
polygonum

Whether to eat it or not is not based on the date, for instance I had a chilli last night and sprinkled cheese on - carefully avoiding using the mouldy bits.

The trouble is that many things are perfectly edible, but nowhere near as enjoyable. In some cases, the taste and texture can be noticably worse as something gets nearer the date, never mind over it.

I have wondered that. There is no chance of milk here getting anywhere near its date; we drink a lot (pints at a time) and can't fit more than a couple of days' worth in the fridge.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sorry, but you're wrong. There isn't any flavour, just normal emulsion paint.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It lasts about a day here due to rate of consumption - and there's only me and my wife drinking the semi!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I knew that someone would pun on that.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

almost

Ah, don't eat the stuff so don't know what the dates are like. But off meat pongs summat rotten and it's going to be cooked properly... That's te other half of the problem people don't cook "risky" things properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well we've certainly had some items that have use by dates of the next day! Yes they'll be fine for longer than that in reality, but they're not as nice to eat.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

crown

ITYRC B-) Sterilised not UHT.

One would certainly have to "aquire the taste"... and we are talking about people in their 50's during WWII.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, friend of mine is a retailer, were discussing this once and they said about 100% (at least) was a typical markup. Sounds a lot, but once you break it down it soon disappears.

Reply to
chris French

Sterilised milk was very popular around here until the milk deliveries started to disappear a decade ago. I don't think supermarkets sold it.

Reply to
dennis

That's the bit that nobody seems to have solved. Buy online, but no one at home for delivery.

I was working outside a house a few weeks ago & watched a postie trying to deliver small packages without much luck. Almost every house he tried he got no reply & had to leave a card. He reckoned an 80& failure rate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman