OT. Food Optional. Grocery Stores Closing

in New Mexico. The governor says so.

Dean Hoffman

There are benefits to this. Stopping the pandemic is important but obesity is a major problem in the US. Living on the food on hand will break the junk food habit and train us to get by on a small meal every other day.

Forcing more people to other stores seems to be a dumb idea. Bigger crowds, more potential problems.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh geez. Don't give our Cheat-By-Mail governor out here in Nevada any (additional) ideas!

The time and effort would be much better spent protecting those at the most risk. Those with comorbidity problems with the commie flu.

Hi Ed,

The obesity epidemic is caused by the SAD (Standard American Diet). What you call "junk food", is the stuff that sits unrefrigerated in most pantries. So they would be hitting that stuff, making matter worse.

Also realize, that "healthy carbs" is a lie and "healthy carbs" is THE main offenders in SAD. There is no such thing as a healthy carb. I got bamboozled by that "health carb" marketing crap and wound up with T2.

All of the health issues caused by SAD will not go away until we return to a "historically appropriate human diet". It does not help that high glycemic carbs are wildly addictive and very hard to kick.

One of my distant brothers in laws lost his brother last month on the operating room table having his legs amputated over complications from T2. Now that is addiction! (He also may not have been given good advice from the allopaths he was seeing. Most, fortunately not all, have no clue and/or are too mired in conflict of interest to properly treat T2. "Those DT's are terrible, I think you should have a beer.")

I am totally drug free (any drug) for eight years now. And totally under control. Thriving, not just surviving.

-T

I said that in jest but you bring up a good point. Instead of traveling to another store for some good fruit and veggies, some of the people will take the easy way out and buy junk at the dollar store. Pre-packaged carbs with preservatives.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You bring up a good point too.

I have to make ALL my own food. Once you get in the routine and teach yourself how, it does to take all that much longer than the pre-prepaired stuff. And it tastes a hell of a lot better.

Meh. I've always made most of my food. The occasional husband-requested Campbell's soup casserole doesn't hurt us a bit.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Nooooooo. Not the infamous cream of mushroom and green beans with canned onion rings on top! Or the cream of shrimp and cauliflower thing...

Does that come with a side of Jello and something?

Reply to
rbowman

Not a part of either my husband's or my tradition. I think his mother's creamed pearl onions stood in that place on the Thanksgiving menu.

Never heard of that.

This:

Except we use fresh broccoli, gently nuked, and not cooked in the casserole. We're not monsters.

Not on my table.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

They were on the menu too. I haven't been looking for them but offhand I don't recall seeing pearl onions on the island with the sweet, yellow, and red varieties. I'm not up for peeling a pot full of miniature onions anyway.

Candied sweet potatoes were a staple too that I couldn't look in the face now. I'll bake some sweets today but I'll eat them straight up, skin and all, maybe with a little butter.

I don't though if Campbell's frozen soup exists anymore. The casserole was cauliflower, the soup, and a breadcrumb topping as I recall. There may have been some other ingredients. It wasn't bad and the soup actually had little shrimp in it.

My mother was a good cook but there was a certain element of '50s Betty Crocker to it. The ethnic attempts like sukiyaki and chicken cacciatore were edible but wouldn't be recognized in their natural environment. The cacciatore required a bottle of what she referred to as 'shantay'. 'Doris Day's 'Chantez, Chantez' was popular and sort of was how you would say chianti if Italians were exotic critters.

Reply to
rbowman

Hi Frank,

"Some" folks benefit from low sodium, but most it is the opposite. And the lowering benefit (1%) that some see with lower Na is offset by a higher heart beat.

Is Salt Bad for ME??? (Hidden Research) 2019

7 Signs You Need More Salt (2020)
Also it is probably not a good idea to use straight sodium chloride. Your kidneys regulate the ratio the "ratio" of sodium and potassium. I believe the number I last heard was 177:1 sodium, to potassium, but I could be off on the ratio.

So, if you use straight NaCl, you can wind up with leg cramps, heart issues, etc., even if you get enough potassium. Sea salt is straight NaCl, all the other minerals are removed and sold off.

My favorite full spectrum sea salt is Redmonds, which has no minerals removed:

But any "pink" salt will do

-T

I think she used frozen pearl onions when they became available. They might not be available any more, since half the damned frozen vegetable case is occupied with cauliflower rice and similar crap that people could make themselves with a cauliflower and a grater.

I like 'em with a little powdered chipotle sprinkled on. The smoke and heat complements the sweet very nicely.

My mother and grandmother both worked, so neither had much time for or interest in cooking. I "enjoyed" such staples as:

Pan-fried whitefish breaded with corn flake crumbs Spaghetti made with Campbell's tomato soup A dessert involving vanilla wafer crumbs, marshmallows, Cool Whip, and canned pineapple.

A lot of people wax nostalgic for the foods of their childhood. The only thing I cook that my mother also cooked is pot roast, and I approach it completely differently.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Luckily my mother managed to both work and cook. We had pan-fried perch, bullheads, sunfish, or whatever else was biting but they weren't breaded. The only breaded stuff I remember was a long drawn out fried chicken process. First she parboiled the chicken then rolled it in flour and fried it. It wasn't one of my favorites.

Looking back she had a lot of energy. She was in her 40's when I was born so wasn't a young woman but she put in her 8 hours in the office at Cluett & Peabody, cooked, was in the Home Bureau, the African Violet Society, and Rebekahs and a few other activities.

This time of year she would ramp up terrarium production and other Christmas stuff she sold. The terrariums were a good thing. They gave my father and I license to go tromp around the woods as long as the game bag included suitable moss, princess pine, british soldiers, partridge berries and other raw materials.

Then there was the rose garden and rock garden in the summer... I had a happy childhood but I wasn't necessarily a top priority in her busy schedule.

Reply to
rbowman

My Mom was more of the "pour some stuff in a dish and bake it" sort of person. My sister learned to cook in Home EC and kept us going until my father got back from the VA hospital and started doing the cooking. He got serious about it. I was always responsible for at least one, maybe two meals a day on my own and I am still the cook around here 65 years later.

Reply to
gfretwell

In my parent's generation mom stayed home and did all the cooking. It was rare to find a man that could cook. In later years, if the wife died first the husband starved.

My generation the men started to do some cooking. My wife did most, but I helped and did some meals as I liked to cook. When my wife could no longer do it, I did it all and she would help by chopping some veggies and stuff. It is a skill that everyone should at least have a bit of experience with.

Some schools now teach Home Ec and Shop to both the boys and girls.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In my house whoever was around at supper time cooked, including me when I got old enough. Like me, my father's cooking started with 'peel an onion'. One summer evening when the windows were open my father was starting supper. Returning home from work as my mother started down the driveway she exclaimed 'Jesus Christ Nels, not onions again!'

Reply to
rbowman

My grandmother was wheelchair bound from the time I was born. I was helping her cook when I was 5 or 6 and I learned some basics. It was enough for me to be able to feed myself when my dad went in the hospital and mom had to go back to work. Dinner was usually what my sister made (high school at the time). A lot of nights it was just them since I already ate. When my father got back he was still on light duty, working half days and doing some work from home, before it was cool, so cooking was suddenly his job. When he got back to full time, he still stayed with it. He was really pretty good. I got used to good food so I learned how to do it. I do think everyone should have some basic cooking skills. It makes picking out a wife, who makes a lot of money, easier ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 18:42:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

I thought those programs were eliminated LEGO'S and coding...

Reply to
Tekkie©

We have a Morton salt with 50/50 NaCl/KCl. Years ago I recall a high potassium in my blood test and there were times where sodium was low. BP meds can cause this too and salts can interact with them. Today all is normal and I just do what the cardiologist tells me.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Make sure and stay healthy. Many years Frank.