OT. Food Optional. Grocery Stores Closing

ACE inhibitors like lisinopril can elevate potassium levels. I had been using Morton Lite but dropped it and use regular salt. I don't go crazy with the salt grinder but I don't limit my use either.

The revolving door of science revolves:

Having seen many instances of reversals like this in my lifetime I also take the experts with a grain or two of salt.

Reply to
rbowman

I question advice and look into it before following.

I had a problem with lisinopril causing a persistent cough which turns out to be a common side effect.

Besides changing BP med the doc ordered a chest xray which showed a spot. This led to an over 6 month dealing with a pulmonologist with a couple of CT scans and breathing tests to find all was completely clear.

I think I am at the end of the curve for salt and avoid large amounts of it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I didn't have the cough side effect on a low dosage. It's cheap, about $12 for 90 days. My doctor ran through the possibilities, describing the drawbacks of each. Lisinopril appeared to have fewer potential problems and it's been effective.

She is also conservative and thinks 120/80 is a nice target but isn't something that absolutely has to be achieved with an aggressive treatment plan.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes it is cheap and common but others I'm taking don't cost any more than lisinopril. Fortunately I am not taking high doses of anything.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Seems like the doctors don't know shit. Every few years they do a different study and find the opposit. Because of high blood pressure my wife was laying off the sodium. It got too low and put her in the hospital for a week. She was acting like a mental case. She had been complaining about cramps in her legs and feet. Her hair dresser told her every time her legs cramped she took some salt. My wife started taking salt pills and if her legs do cramp at night she takes one and the cramp quits in a few minuites.

They can not even tell when to put babies on solid food. We had 3 children and each time it was advise to wait different times before taking them off the milk formular.

I was taking Lisinopril and it gave me a constant caugh. Doc switched me to Lasoratan and it seems to be ok. At the time the lisinopril was free with the insurance we have.I think I am paying about $ 25 for a 3 month supply of the lasoratan.

It is going to be interisting about what the doctors say about the covid-19 virus and treatments during the next year. Already some of the doctors are saying more are dieing due to stress and heart problems than by the virus. Others say there is too much false data as anyting someone dies the hospitals say it is the virus because they get money for that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There are some indications that Lisinopril and other ACE inhibitors alone raise the risk of dementia, while ARBS such as Losartan show some ability to reduce the risk of dementia. One study showed a benefit for both an ARB and lisinopril together.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I started having high BP in my 40's. Taking medicine kept it down just fine. Then at the doc's suggestion I lost 85 pounds and started exercising. My BP went back to normal. I have kept the weight off and kept up the exerising for the last 30+ years and the BP has stayed down. But perhaps being fat, lazy, and taking pills would have been more enjoyable. Thinking of all the hamburgers and pizza I missed over the years.

Reply to
AJL

I have no reason to contact my doctor between the annual visits but it will be interesting to see what she has to say next spring. For a standard MD and not a naturopath or one of the other alternative practitioners she is very skeptical of a lot of the current doctrine.

With so much crap flying around it's hard to come to a conclusion. I'd read one article that said deaths due to heart problems are miraculously down. I've been watching the CDC's own influenza stats. It's still early in the flu season but the reports are minimal flu activity in almost every zone.

Reply to
rbowman

One time when I picked up a refill it rang up as $47. The pharmacist looked at it and said that can't be right, charged my the usual $12, and said they would sort it out.

Reply to
rbowman

Enough bacon can make anything edible. I do like broccoli though, sometimes with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan. My brother hated it and said it was the only time he ever agreed with George H.W. Bush.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, for some of them. Of course, the physics of environmental contamination doesn't change much, so masks and distance still work as they have for ages.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Except for an occasional med like an antibiotic I get all meds by mail. Today there is no copay for most generics but if I were to get them at the local pharmacy which is approved provider they would cost a few dollars.

Several years ago the only med I was taking was warfarin and with a deductible to pay off was paying $75 for 3 months at provider. Walmart was $10 so I switched to them and they also did mail order. I also did it later when provider was charging $14 and took three generics to Walmart to save $12 every three months.

Reply to
invalid unparseable