JCPenney Is Closing These 138 Stores: Texas, Minnesota Hit Hardest

8 years of obama economy...

JCPenney Is Closing These 138 Stores: Texas, Minnesota Hit Hardest

burfordTjustice

It couldn't be, perhaps, because they suck? I used to buy great clothing at Penney's up through the 2000s, but lately they've been like Kmart. It's Ron Johnson's fault, not Barack Obama's.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Two things killed our local mall and JCPenneys.

First, while JCPenney's Ron Johnson was sleeping, Team Bezos invented Amazon Prime and 1-Click shopping.

Second, our local mall had become overrun with the teenage spawn of welfare recipients hell bent on harassing shoppers.

Reply to
Al Dente

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:07:24 -0400, Al Dente wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Yes, blaming this on Obama, or even on "the economy" of the past ten years, is an extreme reach. Montgomery Ward went under before the recent financial crisis and even before most people had heard of Obama. Sears was acquired by K Mart in 2004, shortly after W was re-elected. Penney's problems are part of long-term trends in retailing.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I look on it as just failing to keep up with the times. As the markets change, so should the stores (business). Just as IBM and some other large computer compaines failed to keep up. Zerox copiers were started because the big companies did not want to put out a copy machine. How many film camera companies are out because they did not jump on the digital band wagon ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I partially agree but also believe causes can be related to online sales competition, though, perhaps that's what you mean by keeping up with the times. Then I fully agree.

Reply to
Meanie

Some of the stores like Penneys and Belks clothing seemed to be the higher end cloths of the middle class. Walmart came along with some inexpensive cloths. The larger stores should have put in an economy line to compete. Then the on line sales should have been included. I don't buy cloths on line. I have bought some shoes on line because I know the exact number of the brand to buy. Now that Reebok has switched to that cheep ass memory foam in the same shoe, I will have to look for another brand. Another good product ruined by going to shoddy materials to save a buck.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery