Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

Morrisons did say they would trial it Q3 ... I can't help but feel there's a boat they missed.

Reply to
Jethro

Ocado bring the stuff into the house as standard, which makes a difference for an elderly person and you get a text message a few hours before confirming if anything is missing from the order.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Robin writes

Ocado will bring the shopping in and deposit it where you want (shame they don't put it away)

Reply to
chris French

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:28:42 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:=

but minimum Ocado order is =A340. That amount wouldn't fit in Mum's flat=

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I can think of several local shops that do not advertise that they have a web presence. Of course, you can get similar products on the internet, but sometimes similar is not good enough.

Depends upon the product. I would not buy fresh meat or vegetables that I cannot see before I buy, for example.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We've used online grocery shopping on and off, but tend to stay away from it. We've had the odd ridiculous substitution and more importantly the odd item that was urgently necessary missing entirely. The main problem though is dates. We usually shop for a week for five of us and when shopping online, we have frequently had to eat things dictated by date rather than what we wanted that day, but when we get the stuff ourselves, we can look through the items for those with the better dates. We even had one case where almost everything we'd bought for the week's meals had a use by date on or before the 3rd day! Now we will eat things beyond the marked date, but we shouldn't have to eat things 4 days over and well beyond their best!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Weekly shop for four here.

Good grief some one who pays attention to the dates on stuff. They get used here to put newer stuff at the back of the cupboard but that's about all. The decision on whether something is edible or not is mainly based on appearance and smell.

Use By: dates on most things are so far into the future to be almost irelevant, the milk I bought today from the local co-op has a use by of 8 Dec. What do they do to milk these days? When I was a lad you'd be lucky to get 4 days from milk kept in the fridge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ocado have that issue sorted - you can see the dates when you order. As they deliver from (one?) large warehouse, they largely know what stock they have and they know the expiry dates of stuff.

Much better model IMO.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

But the milk probably hadn't been in the fridge for a couple of days before you got it in the old days.

Reply to
dennis

The milk I bought last week has a use by date of 17th Dec, I do go for that cravendale stuff though as it easily lasts a week once opened, I end up chucking less down the sink that way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do what we do; ignore the dates.

Reply to
Huge

Oakhouse Foods?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I find that a 4pint/2litre carton easily lasts a week after being opened. So long as you're sensible and don't leave it at room temperature (i.e. take out of fridge, use, put back) I've never had any that's failed the smell test. That's the only test that matters.

Reply to
root

Is that actually cost effective given Cravendale costs so much more than own brand supermarket stuff? I find it isn't. And I prefer the taste of the 'ordinary' stuff anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Being single, my milk use is pretty consistent when I'm at home. Only used for tea and coffee. And I rarely get a week out of supermarket bought milk before it goes off. I *should* really just get it by the litre, and have no waste. As I shop more than once a week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Buying by the smaller bottle costs rather more. You do keep it in the fridge, right, and with the bottles tightly stoppered? I'm sure we get two weeks with the 4 pint jobs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They often have "buy two cheap" offers on cravendale, which given it lasts so long I can take advantage of ... even watching someone pour sour milk away on TV brings me close to heaving, so I find it's worthwhile!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Asda, and I see you say that it's not an issue, but they will deliver for £2 if you opt for an 8 hour slot.

Yeah, but the best thing to do with cravendale is chuck it down the sink anyway - not nearly as nice as proper milk.

Reply to
Clive George

I know a few people who say this. Maybe it's me (it probably is!) but I really can't taste the difference between cravendalelike milk, and nice new fresh "proper" milk,

Normal milk that's been open a couple of days does start to have a smell about it though - it's not off at all, but it starts to have a milk smell that I just can't stand.

Cravendale takes a week or so to get to the same stage (so rarely does in our house).

I think I'm just particularly sensitive to the smell of milk - one thing I can't stand is the smell of stale milk. It's wortht the extra quid I spend a week to avoid that IMO :-)

Dunno why, it's always been something I can't stand.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman