Completely OT - Bank Statement

Sorry to be OT but this is such a widely knowledgeable group, etc, etc. !!

I've just been checking my Bank Statement on line and I've received a sum of money (

Reply to
robgraham

Possibly a transfer from a Savings account?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've just been checking my Bank Statement on line and I've received a sum of money (

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Give us your bank details including PIN number and I will transfer it back !!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I think you'll find this is from the Inland Revenue (or whatever they're called nowadays). SA stands for Self Assessment. It's probably your tax refund, or the tax refund of someone who put the wrong account number on their tax return!

Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit

I've just been checking my Bank Statement on line and I've received a sum of money (

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Thanks guys - did just wonder if it was that but couldn't get anything sensible for the acronym SA. Now it all makes sense. No doubt something will come in the post at some point but it is nice to know they pay out first. The sum is within a few pounds of what I calculated sometime 6 months ago.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Seems very odd that there is no other form of reference against the payment to identify it .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Same happened to me a couple of years ago, the notice from the IR arrived a few days later.

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Saudi Arabia? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This is from HM Revenue and Customs and is a tax refund payment for Self Assessment tax. The bank should know this full well - they must be seeing enough of them at this time of year.

You should also have received a tax calculation from said government department but that would be making several assumptions.

In previous years, I have always received refund in the form of a BACS transfer which is convenient. This year, for whatever reason, and for a smaller amount, they sent a cheque which is very inconvenient. I tried to get them to cancel it and alter my tax code, but they couldn't manage that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Grrrr! I got an e-mail from the accountant saying I had a £450 refund. Then letter a dated 1/2/07 from the revenue saying they were paying it in to my bank. They had the wrong a/c number on the letter so I rang them.

Got another letter on the 21st with yet another wrong a/c number, so I rang again. Cheque didn't arrive till this morning!

They certainly didn't pay me first.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it is something from the revenue, Sod All seems about right ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why couldn't they have paid it into the proper account and done with it rather than wasting everyone's time with cheques?

Reply to
Andy Hall