Carpet Underlay

I have ordered some carpet but decided to buy the underlay and gripper elsewhere as it was overpriced in the capret retailers. I will be getting a professional carpet fitter in but want to have all the materials ready before he arrives.
As I understand it, I require enough gripper for the perimeter of the room and underlay for the area. Do I require any additional glue/nails for joining the underlay to either the flooring underneath or carpet?
I was thinking of getting the Duralay Supreme 100 (100lb): http://www.flooring-exposed.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=8
I will be getting a professional carpet fitter in but want to have all the materials ready before he arrives.

These links might help http://www.flooring-exposed.com/index.asp?function=WEBPAGE&page
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=Laying+carpet+Underlay&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB I used to know a carpet fitter and he had a staple gun that looked a bit like a hammer and he just went around battering it on the underlay pinning it to the floorboards .No doubt there are electric/battery operated versions . Cannot remember if he taped the joins but I don't think so .
You don't say if you have boards or concrete etc flooring .
Ask the fitter before well he arrives what he needs . Stuart

Thanks for your advice. I had a look at the FAQ which also mentions felt underlay. Any opinions on whether felt or rubber underlay would be best for airbourne soundproofing? The felt option is cheaper.

I always use a crumb rubber/felt combo underlay. Gives a really expensive feel to a cheapish carpet, and the fitters always say it's really good stuff. The stuff I use comes from http://www.lcw-underlay.com /
Andrew
On 7 Mar, 16:43, " snipped-for-privacy@sheldononline.co.uk"

Hi, thanks for the recommendation. Can this underlay just be laid directly on the floor with no nails or glue? Is it as easy to fit as the Duralay? I have already had a quote by the carpet fitter for the standard duralay underlay so I'm not sure if he would charge more for the Crumb underlay.
b8pu wrote:

Fitting most underlays is the same. Stick gripper round the edge, layout the underlay, cut off the surplus against the gripper, then staple it down well enough to stay put during the carpet laying.
--
Cheers,

John.

b8pu wrote:

With underlay I tape the joins, and staple it down so that it does not move about while the carpet is being fitted.

Try here:
http://www.discounted-carpet-underlay.co.uk /
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I'll second that recommendation, having used them myself in preference to the stuff CarpetRight wanted to flog me - the above outfit provided underlay within 24 hrs - for about half the price and double the quality of CarpetRight's.
David