Joining hessian backed carpet over underlay without a carpet iron - how best to do???

I'm soon to fit the landing carpet in the renovation I am doing and the landing is over 4 metres in length so will need a joint.
The carpet is hessian backed and to be laid over underlay and secured at its edges by gripper rod.
I don't have a carpet iron to allow me to perform an edge to edge joint in the normal manner using hot melt carpet joining tape.
I know the double or single sided tape method is inferior and not good over time. In fact it's bad as I understand it and I won't be using it..
I have access to an old clothes iron ( that could be scrapped afterwards ), hot melt glue sticks as required, and a variety of substrates to reinforce the joint ( hessian, galvanised and perforated very thin and flexible steel sheet, etc ).
I know the clothes iron won't allow jointing from above due to its width and unavailable access from above the joint.. I know joints using a proper carpet iron and hot melt tape can be almost invisible and lasting. What about jointing from the hessian side ( IE below )
How would I do it for best results.
How best can I ensure a good edge to edge joint when joining from the hessian side.
The width at the joint is only about 1 metre.
What do you suggest I do on a limited budget.
--
The eMail address used in newsgroups is invalid - reply to group only for me
to see.
JDT2Q wrote:

Get a carpet fitter in for a few quid cash. Cheaper than screwing it up.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ecky thump Dave that was quick.
The thing is I've lots of this carpet available.

In the old days it would be sewn. No reason not to do that now on such a small length.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *