Locksheild valve with drain point.

I have a lockshield valve with drain point on a rad I wish to remove for decorating. Previously I've only used it to drain down the system - and this was done recently to change the inhibitor. If the lockshield is closed (and of course the other one on the rad) will it drain just the rad? It's this one:-

to be certain to avoid wasting expensive inhibitor...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but don't forget to open the bleed valve as well or you'll get very little out and then suddenly get the lot after you've disconnected the radiator!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

> Need to be certain to avoid wasting expensive inhibitor...

Looks to me that it would drain the system only with the lockshield closed or the system and the rad with it open.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>>> Need to be certain to avoid wasting expensive inhibitor...

Really? I would have though shutting the valve off would result in the incoming pipe being closed off, jut like a tap would work, the water from the radiator would then run over the top of the shut-off pipe, thus draining the radiator only (assuming the other valve is off, obviously)

Easy way to check...

Bleed the radiator first, so there isn't any air in it.

Shut off the valves

Open the drain c*ck, and only a small amount of water should be ejected (to release the pressure in the radiator) if it ejects more than say

500ml, then I would suggest it is draining the system, not the radiator.

If it only ejects a small amount, then stops, open the bleeding valve, and the rest of the radiator should then drain.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Alternatively, if there's enough slack in the pipes to lift the rad off the brackets then just loosen the ends and rotate the rad out of the way.

Reply to
Scott M

[snip]

Having had one of these in my hands and looked and blown down all the orifices I can confirm that it drains just the radiator if the valves at each end of the radiator are closed.

If you think of a normal valve as a right angle elbow with a valve seat in the bottom then the drain turns it into a tee with the radiator valve controlling the input at the bottom as shown in the ASCII "art" below which shows the radiator valve closed and the drain open. - Use a fixed width font.

__||__ | || | | || | | || | ________________| || |____________ | | || ==========| || To radiator >>

|___ ___|______==||==______________ / / | | / / | | | | Drain | | I n l e t

Reply to
Mike Clarke

You're right - in theory. But in practice there wasn't enough pressure to open the valve - or whatever - and despite removing the bleed screw completely very little came out of the drain. Plenty came out when I slackened the connections, though. So the usual frying pan and old towels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Far too likely to get damaged as it's in the hall, and would near block it. But it's off now anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats why I carry a Wickes/Earlex wet & dry vac on the van. Makes draining radiators almost a pleasure & not a drop spilt.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found it satisfying vaccing a shattered car window into my Panasonic bagless. The guy from Autoglass looked at me funny when I mentioned it.

Reply to
Graham.