1 more carpet fitting question...

Grippers - do I need them?

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top - and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in place - a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it harder)

Suggestions?

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers - can you get away with having one every 2 metres or so, or is it suggested to keep a continuous line?

Reply to
mo

Yes.

Reply to
John Cartmell

In message , mo writes

It will be pretty dreadful result I should think.

Oh FFS, how much was the carpet and underlay - how much will the Gripperrods be,

By them, do the job properly, otherwise you will regret it (ha'porth of tar and all that)

Reply to
chris French

Not if you want to do a crap job.

What difference will that make?

Use gripper.

Why don't you want to do it properly? Carpet gripper is cheap and makes it much easier to lay a carpet so it looks good and stays looking good. Also use a proper metal strip for the threshold so it stays flat and doesn't fray.

Reply to
Rob Morley

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work out exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in under an hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and how for next time!

Reply to
mo

are you sure you're not a woman? and blond at that. :-)

The place where you bought the carpet would have supplied and fitted carpet/underlay and grippers, for what you've laid out up to now.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , mo writes

500ft for about £30 - have a look on ebay.
Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Since we don't know what he has paid so far how can we judge. There is no such thing as 'free fitting' or 'free grippers' etc. it's all in the price somewhere.

Reply to
chris French

Indeed! I bought the carpet on Sunday and I had 'unforseen' problems which meant I would have missed any date had I agreed for that anyway (would have been within 1 or 2 days fitting) - so its prob worked out a bit easier for me by not ordering delivery at the time.

I haven't laid out anything yet for fitting......

Reply to
mo

Any time I've bought carpet, they've always offered to fit gripper rods and underlay for no extra cost, as long as I bought them from the place

- they usually charge a lot more for the materials though, so I've always ended up doing the gripper rods and underlay myself and just getting them to fit the carpet (I might try fitting myself next time as we're doing the small spare room, an ideal room to mess up on my first attempt!)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Lay them a quarter inch from the skirting, spikes facing up and towards=20 the skirting. Bang in the nails. Job done.

| ---- | || | / || / | / || / | -------------------- | | / | | / |

------------\/------ --------------

Reply to
Rob Morley

That is the most beautiful piece of ASCII art I've ever seen. Well done.

Reply to
Richard Conway

What did I do to upset you?

:-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have never had underlay in my room before so I dont wanna attemot the gripepr stuff myself - i wil lwatch and learn.

Still I wont miss having to lug around all the carpet, making it fit, cut it and getting sweaty :)

Anyhow - i will have the real work of reassmbling my bed and wardrobe afterwards!

Reply to
mo

It really is easy - if you ask here how to do it I'm sure several people (including me) will post details and you can choose the best bits from each!

Never done that bit, but I'm going to have a go next time!

Sure enough, thats where the fun starts!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Sorry, it wasn't sarcasm, I actually thought it was really good. I loved the level of detail with the point of the nail coming through the bottom.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Or

for a bit more.

I had a quote from Carpetright which included about 100m2 of cheapo carpet for 3.99 / m2, less 10% discount, total 354 GBP including VAT. Fine so far; that's all in their adverts to draw in the punters...

Then the small print... another 300 for underlay, but what really took the biscuit was 230 GBP for 143m of gripper rods!! (then another 250 GBP to fit everything).

David

Reply to
Lobster

.

I wasn't sure - hence the smiley :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well done. That's a good 80% of the way there (for next time!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon