What does free fittin mean?

Wife ordered 3 carpets from a local supplier and they sent someone down to measure up. 2 carpets were for bedrooms and the other one was for hall, stairs and landing. They verbaly told me that they wanted clean and empty rooms. I accepted that as an empty room without grippers, which were put down by me as a DIYer

I took up the carpets and removed the gripper strips that I had fitted to one bedroom and all the ones that had been (in my opinion) badly fitted on the stairs. The ground floor is bitumin and doesn't take nails very well. When I took up the carpet, the gripper stips came up with it. And they were in the wrong place due to me fitting laminate floors over the years.

When I prepped the first bedroom, I took up the carpet and grippers, as I was not sure I had put them in the right place. Fitters arrived and found that they had the wrong carpet in the van and had to go back and get the right one. His mate, in the mean time, fitted grippers and underlay and when the right carpet came back, they laid it in rapid style. I was happy with the job.

Same happened with the second bedroom carpet and I was happy with the job.

Now comes the problem.

A new pair of fitters arrived Monday morning, never having worked for the carpet showroom and they were told not to take any grippers. They arived to find none down and went out to buy some, came back and glued them down to the floor, after removing the hold down nails and said they would come back later in the week to fit the carpet. I thought that they were very very good at their job.

Friday they arived back with the carpet and started to fit it. They mentioned a 45-00 charge for the grippers and that they would have to get it off my wife before they left. (Wife was the customer and out at work at the time)

I explained to the carpet fitters, that if they had not laid the carpet, that they would have found themselves locked in the house until it was laid. (By this time, 95% of the carpet was laid though.

What right has a carpet estimater got to say that grippers in a room are servicable for a new and heavier carpet? Especially as they claim to offer free fitting and underlay (which was crap stuff.

We are disputing the cost of the grippers against the fact that they offer free fitting.

Can you really fit a stair carpet without grippers? It was the carpet fitters that decided that they wanted grippers for the stairs. Can you imagine fitting a carpet to the stairs without grippers?

I think that the estimator came to look at the job and thought that the grippers were up to the job. When I took the carpet up, they were not.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Free fitting could mean anything. Might not even include underlay. Foam backed carpet for example doesn't use gripper boards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yesterday I bought 14 x 5 foot carpet gripper rods at a small retail outlet in the North West ( WN7 postcode ) at 45 pence each without a haggle, that was the marked price. They were the type that had nails for concrete floors.

Another local discount retailer ( who blows his own discount trumpet in the local press ) wanted £1.00 per rod so I was quite pleased.

JD

Reply to
JDT2Q

Last time I bought carpet grippers (admittedly a long time ago), £45 would have paid for enough to fully carpet several houses.

They need to recover the cost from the shop. You don't have any contract or agreement with them -- the shop does.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats a very good point - did they tell you that you needed to pay for the grippers? Did you get a chance to source your own, at a much less cost?

Tell them to take a hike, back to the shop for payment.

Regards

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

Some supp;lier/fitters offer free fitting, but with a surcharge for stairs. If this was the case for you, they should have made it plain before you actually placed your order.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The complexities boil down fairly simply: you've never agreed to pay them =A345 to fit grippers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222