bus lanes

what about bikes etc?

Reply to
Not so dozy Jim ...

bastards...but wouldn't stop some wummin' ...

Reply to
Not so dozy Jim ...

Nice short link that..............

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

I stay out of them at all times! Firstly the signs are invisible to strangers, particularly after dark. The other reason is that people park outside the house/shop blocking the inside lane anyway.

I'd be pleased if you could arrange those in Islington to be all traffic and no parking after 7.30pm:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Another reason to drive tanks rather than sports cars.

Reply to
Fredxx

Another reason for bus lanes is simply to throttle traffic, to even out the congestion along the route.

Similarly, I've seen cycle lanes purely introduced to reduce from 2 lanes to one at a junction.

Reply to
Fredxx

There's a camera too.

Reply to
R D S

a disgusting waste of the worlds resources ......no need for things as ugly as that

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Except they last longer than sports cars, are more reliable, more economical and less prone to accidents.

So less of a disgusting waste than sports cars.

Reply to
Fredxx

Do they have dashed lines or solid lines? One can be crossed by a car, the other can't.

Reply to
dennis

The one I like is at junctions with traffic lights where there is a dedicated short bus lane. The bus lane doesn't extend beyond the junction as there is only room for a single lane in both directions. The bus has priority and its own traffic light goes green before the rest of the traffic traveling in the same direction is allowed to go. The genius implementation with this scheme is to put a bus stop 5 metres after the junction. The bus moves off from the traffic lights first and then stops to pickup or drop passengers blocking the road for all the following traffic that had to wait.

Reply to
alan_m

Is this the answer to your original question perhaps?

Reply to
Scott

yes

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Best one round here is a 24/7 one. Only one route uses it. Single deckers every 20 minutes - if you're lucky. And not 24 hour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They ride on the pavement as usual?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've noticed a few places around Brum where lanes have been coned off for years without a single shovel hitting the tarmac. Usually as you approach a roundabout limiting the traffic to 2 lanes, not 3.

That's in addition to roads that used to be 2 lanes, and which have now become one lane with an assortment of street furniture, protruding pavements and signage to enforce that design.

Add that to the camera controlled 30/20 mph roads and zones, and it can be quite a varied journey. Especially if you add the long-term projects to the mix like the Paradise Circus remodelling and A38 cycleway.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

9 buses a day (not weekends) go past the cormer near here. 4 in one direction and 5 in the other - work that one out.
Reply to
charles

Lots of experience of driving in London, have you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Source(s)?

I was parked next to a 1972 Ferarri yesterday (250K!!!) so that seems to have lasted OK...

Economical - pull the other one. With the aerodynamics of a house brick, and weight to match...

Less prone to accidents - show me a rolled over sports car.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've never parked 'in a bus stop' It would take an idiot like you to do that.

And I'd guess you are one of those idiots who assume bus lanes are all

24/7.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)