Council Highways causing chaos

The is a local village road, which has 5x double decker buses per hour (10x in total). For years I have been complaining about cars being parked (abandoned) on both sides, causing chaos, because of the narrow width of the road. Buses struggle to squeeze through, even when cars block the footpaths.
Along comes Highways at last and put double yellow lines down, but with marked parking bays. One 25m section has bays marked on both sides of the road. Width between bays along this bit in the middle, is around 7 feet. I have emailed our local councillor and the reply said they will rely on those parking to use common sense - when did those parking ever show any common sense?
In the same village, where parking is at a premium and both sides of the main street with usually just enough width to squeeze a bus through. There is a Wetherspoons, which often has large delivery lorries struggling to stop to deliver. Highways marked out a bus stop, double yellow lines, a single car length bay, more yellow lines, then a three car bay. The double yellow lined sections are far to short for a delivery lorry, so often their lorry has to obstruct the road whilst they are made. Had the single car bay been moved to join the other three bays their lorry could have pulled in and avoided causing chaos which it does.
Which school do the Highways planners attend?
On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 14:15:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
The "How to stop roads being used" academy.
Don't worry though, give them a few months and they will paint a girt big cycle lane down it as well. That there are no cyclists and none will come along to use it after they paint it won't bother them in the slightest.
On 07/07/2019 15:47, Peter Parry wrote:

In my local town (Newmarket) they did two major road changes in the last 20 years. They put traffic lights at a junction that now has tailbacks where none existed before, and they 'redesigned the roads (and put in traffic lights) round the new rosewater superstore to create traffic jams where none existed before.
AS it happens a simple one way system making a giant roundabout would have sorted out that junction area completely.
--
In today liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Here they have just started a new method of resurfacing, A local A-road always seemed OK to me, but someone came along one day and painted huge great white squares on it - some up to half width and about 10 metres long, plus lots of smaller ones. Then the road had days of one-way traffic lights from which one could watch the work. They divided the squares into smaller patches about 1 metre square and filled each one individually.
We all now bump and bounce along the whole section.
My son was about to email the council asking if they had sold off all their steam rollers when he saw in the local free paper a letter from another area nearby about their resurfacing (same method) being dreadful compared with this stretch and accusing the council of having one standard for the rich (! if only) and another standard for their area.
I'm not sure we haven't been used as guinea pigs, as I and the taxi driver who brought me home from hospital the other day, and tried to minimise the bumps, both thought the road was smooth before they started.
--
Bill

On 07/07/2019 16:49, Bill wrote:

When moving house, try and buy a house on a road where councillors or freemasons live. The roads and pavements will always be in good condition.
Or those with lots of money. However some private roads I've been down are awful cos nobody wants to put their hands in their pocket to fix it. there are several in Epsom like that, jointly owned by the house owners. Brian
--
----- --

Due to the witlessness of many car drivers, there is a lot to be said for the road one lives in being as rutted and potholed as possible. Of course, the interests of those who want to use the road as a thoroughfare are completely different. But in the case of a private road the residents can choose how they want it surfaced. It is not necessarily meanness.
--

Roger Hayter

On 07/07/2019 23:09, Roger Hayter wrote:

And that just encourages more people to buy heavy 4x4 suv's which cause even more damage to the road.
On 08/07/2019 11:10, Andrew wrote:

4x4s are not heavy enough to do significant damage to the roads, it is almost purely down to goods vehicles.
A study many years ago (when 32 tons was the maximum weight for HGVs) showed that a single, badly loaded wagon did as much damage to the road as 130,000 cars. I know 4x4s are heavier than normal cars, but not that much.
SteveW
On 08/07/2019 20:19, Steve Walker wrote:

Road damage is proportional to the 4th power of the vehicle weight (so the road builders tell us)
So that girt big 4x4 weighing twice as much as my car is doing 16 times as much damage.
(Of course the truck is doing way more than that)
Andy
'Unadopted' roads are always a problem. No-one wants to share the cost, because the house nearest to an adopted highway thinks he should pay less than the person who lives furthest from the highway and has to drive over all the bits of private road nearer to the said highway.
On 07/07/2019 20:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

Some relatives lived on an unadopted road, houses of quite high quailty on large plots built maybe in the 1950's The road is around 100m long and it and the also unadopted adjacent road were a potholed mess in the 1970's, the house prices were accordingly always somewhat lower than those in the surrounding streets despite the other houses being 1970's rather tacky builds on much smaller plots.
I'd have no reason to visit as the relatives are long dead but out of interest I just looked on google earth streetview and both roads are still a potholed shithole 40+ years later.
It's like no one living there gives a fuck.

Does no-one believe me when I point out that this is a good safefy feature for a road, especially if one has children or pets? Why should one want to get down one's own residential road quickly?
--

Roger Hayter

On the other hand it isnt a great idea to be focussing on avoiding the worst of the potholes when little kids can be running out from between parked cars chasing a ball.
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 23:36:57 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) wrote:

Driving down a road, even at sub10mph without breaking a spring or bending a wheel rim or grounding the underside or for the human on foot stumbling into a pothole and ending up in A&E is also a quite handy safety feature.
https://www.google.it/search?q=unadopted+road&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch
On 09/07/2019 12:36, The Other Mike wrote:

OTOH where residents get together and do thisgsw properly
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2811102,-0.4428778,3a,75y,150.73h,84.2t/data =!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shDFC5OqUYcxO8i4oO7t85A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
says...

It wasn't that bad before:
https://goo.gl/maps/Jzeju2QzUPxwu6Hn6
--

Terry

On 09/07/2019 18:39, Terry Casey wrote:

It was 40 years ago. When the resident association first was formed.
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that