Council Highways causing chaos

The is a local village road, which has 5x double decker buses per hour (10x in total). For years I have been complaining about cars being parked (abandoned) on both sides, causing chaos, because of the narrow width of the road. Buses struggle to squeeze through, even when cars block the footpaths.

Along comes Highways at last and put double yellow lines down, but with marked parking bays. One 25m section has bays marked on both sides of the road. Width between bays along this bit in the middle, is around 7 feet. I have emailed our local councillor and the reply said they will rely on those parking to use common sense - when did those parking ever show any common sense?

In the same village, where parking is at a premium and both sides of the main street with usually just enough width to squeeze a bus through. There is a Wetherspoons, which often has large delivery lorries struggling to stop to deliver. Highways marked out a bus stop, double yellow lines, a single car length bay, more yellow lines, then a three car bay. The double yellow lined sections are far to short for a delivery lorry, so often their lorry has to obstruct the road whilst they are made. Had the single car bay been moved to join the other three bays their lorry could have pulled in and avoided causing chaos which it does.

Which school do the Highways planners attend?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The "How to stop roads being used" academy.

Don't worry though, give them a few months and they will paint a girt big cycle lane down it as well. That there are no cyclists and none will come along to use it after they paint it won't bother them in the slightest.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In my local town (Newmarket) they did two major road changes in the last

20 years. They put traffic lights at a junction that now has tailbacks where none existed before, and they 'redesigned the roads (and put in traffic lights) round the new rosewater superstore to create traffic jams where none existed before.

AS it happens a simple one way system making a giant roundabout would have sorted out that junction area completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of my fellow Parish Councillors once said of our County Highways " The are so inefficient, they must rehearse at it."

Reply to
charles

Here they have just started a new method of resurfacing, A local A-road always seemed OK to me, but someone came along one day and painted huge great white squares on it - some up to half width and about 10 metres long, plus lots of smaller ones. Then the road had days of one-way traffic lights from which one could watch the work. They divided the squares into smaller patches about 1 metre square and filled each one individually.

We all now bump and bounce along the whole section.

My son was about to email the council asking if they had sold off all their steam rollers when he saw in the local free paper a letter from another area nearby about their resurfacing (same method) being dreadful compared with this stretch and accusing the council of having one standard for the rich (! if only) and another standard for their area.

I'm not sure we haven't been used as guinea pigs, as I and the taxi driver who brought me home from hospital the other day, and tried to minimise the bumps, both thought the road was smooth before they started.

Reply to
Bill
.

Like they give planning permission for a number of parking spaces for a business and the staff use the spaces and the customer are left with nowhere to park.

Low cost houses around a roundabout - parking around the back - where will the Amazon Deivery van park?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

When moving house, try and buy a house on a road where councillors or freemasons live. The roads and pavements will always be in good condition.

Reply to
Andrew

Where will Yodel throw the parcels ?

Reply to
Andrew

Must be a largish village if it's got a Wetherspoons. 'spoons are a right pain sometimes with the siting of their establishments, they never consider the parking problems customers and delivery vehicles face.

Reply to
G r o g

I don't know but they also never seem to realise that blind people exist either and put in flat road and footway areas and say in their official blurb, we rely on pedestrians and drivers making eye contact to negotiate road crossing. Like what?

Have you ever stood waiting to cross an uncontrolled crossing ? You will wait for ever even if you could see the drivers eyes. I'm sorry but I believe the plan on some animated computer generated version of the streets where pedestrians and drivers all follow the rules, and do not act stupid, intolerant or basically like bar stewards, and this applies particularly to cyclists. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No I'm afraid they stay so short a time in the job and often work for more than one district that with the computer generated view of the area all is sweetness and light. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes one lives in the old Police Station in New Malden. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes and the reason why there are no cyclists is that they all ride on the pavement instead scattering the elderly and blind asunder with the odd expletive rather than a bell. But to be fair to them, the problem with cycle lanes is that when they get to a busy junction they end up having to cross lanes of traffic, so how can that be safe? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah but remember there is a climate emergency. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this the one they call hot boxing. No idea why its called that but its supposed to minimise breakup around the edges of patches by re melting the surface making it adhere better. Not convinced. It might work in a test system but the real world has many variables. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or those with lots of money. However some private roads I've been down are awful cos nobody wants to put their hands in their pocket to fix it. there are several in Epsom like that, jointly owned by the house owners. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The only people that care about cyclists, are cyclists. Nobody else cares about them.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

G r o g pretended :

Actually, they did. There is a private access road at the rear, owned by a Sainsbury local. Sainsburies refused them the use of the road.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Due to the witlessness of many car drivers, there is a lot to be said for the road one lives in being as rutted and potholed as possible. Of course, the interests of those who want to use the road as a thoroughfare are completely different. But in the case of a private road the residents can choose how they want it surfaced. It is not necessarily meanness.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

People with no off road parking should not be allowed to own cars.

Reply to
harry