preventing parking

What are my rights? There is a track which runs adjacent to the wall of my house which provides access to eight garages (including my own)and another house. It is not registered as belonging to anyone and is not public. It is about 2 vehicles wide. To still allow access to the garages, cars occasionally park less than 60cms from my house wall, sometimes in front of my living room window, sometimes in front of my kitchen window and external gas meter and flue. Someone slamming their car door or running the engine makes my house vibrate, sometimes at night. The bleep from a remote car door opener would wake me.

1) Do I have rights to prevent people parking this close to my house? 2) Do I have rights to claim the parking spaces my own and erect a "private parking" notice?

M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

I think it's all down to the owner of the track. I don't think you have any of the rights mentioned above (IANAL).

If it really is a private track, buy a couple of old cars and park them there...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Try and find out who the land belongs to, it might belong to the house but be required for access, if so put a sign up and clamp any unauthorised parking, charging them £100 parking fine! (Could be a nice little earner!)

Or have a word with the other garage owners and put a gate across the access, giving them all keys of course, but then again it might be one of them parking their!

Or put one of these

near by your wall.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Soulds the best solution. If you don't own the track, anything you do might be in breach of the conditions that allow you passage over it to your garrage.

I'd ask the land registry who does own it, its quite easy & cheep.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

AIUI if the land owner cannot be traced it belongs to the parish or town council and comes under highway rules. If they wanted to they could install double yellow lines, but they wouldn't want to if there is no traffic obstruction and I don't think the parking causing a nuisance to one house would weigh very heavily with them. Is it an unadopted dirt track, if not who tarmacs it. I will see if I can check up on this as it happens a lot in my village which has a lot of unowned streets.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Park a trailer on it.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

You probably don't have these rights but a half dozen plastic traffic cones should do the trick anyway.

Reply to
Mike

Or you could buy a load of ballast which accidentally fell off on relevant area, or some big planks of timber that take 2 people to shift

Reply to
Gel

There is no owner on paper, not even the council. Though 8 garages,

1house, my house, the environment agency and rail maintenance people have used it for access for many years. Ideally I want to keep the side of my house clear of cars, or use it for temporary visitors parking.
Reply to
markzoom

That would be good, thanks. I am under the impression that I have some kind of say over what happens within 1M of my house walls. I also have two windows facing it, which would be partly obscured by a parked vehicle. There is also a gas meter+gas stop c*ck and a low gas flue on the wall.

The other thing is that I sometimes get comments from the garage owners about vehicles parked there which are zilch to do with me, though about twice a week my friends/visitors park there (sensibly) since I only have one parking space. I've therefore been telling strangers not to park there. Some neighbours say that nobody should park there but it would be me who would end up policing it, something which I would have little incentive to do if I can't occasionally use it. I would have to switch to parking nazi mode twice a week and that's just not worth the aggro.

Reply to
markzoom

They might, until the disappear.... I am under the impression that I have some say over what happens within 1M of my house walls.

Reply to
markzoom

Hmm, then my friends could park on the trailer! I do get on cordially with my neighbours but that would be a declaration of war. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

In article , markzoom writes

Stick up a bit sign saying "DANGER RADIOACTIVE" ?......

Reply to
tony sayer

Just a thought, but buy a couple of those plastic dog turds from a joke shop and glue them to the road surface. It's amazing how far people will go to avoid parking on dog do-do! And especially if they think they might have to walk in it as they get out of the car.....

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

Don't know what on earth gives you that idea. Probably truth be told, if you ever found out who actually owned the piece of land, you may find that your external gas meter and flue is invading their space!

Reply to
simon beer

good one BUT the OP must do this ONLY if they set up a wbcam of the scene and post the times that parkers .. park and, of curse, the url :-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

Only if you build your house 1m inside your boundary.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I doubt it. There are plenty of examples round here of house walls being the boundary to a right of way, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could what Mark is thinking about be to do with excavation and foundations ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In general, your rights stop at the edge of your property and, if part of that property is a highway, they may not even extend that far. When you bought the house, your solicitor should have established who owned the lane and what rights of access you and others had over it.

Irrelevant.

If it were me, I would simply put up some no waiting signs on the wall. Providing you use ones that comply with the Traffic Signbs Regulations and General Directions 2002, rather than ones that look home-made, they can be surprisingly effective.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar