Parking - and Terraced housing

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still park a t the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a securit y issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms facing the ga rage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few metres more. God fo rbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging cables strewn across pavements.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

more likely that their 2010 car won't fit in a 1960 sized garage (even if the property was built in 2010 it will still come with a 1960 sized garage - if one at all)

tim

Reply to
tim...

A Deawoo Lanos barely fitted in the garage at my rented house, which was built circa: 1990. It fitted, but parking took lots of effort and it was only just possible to squeeze out with the car hard over to the other wall.

My current car would have no chance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Remember, in the 1960s, a pal buying an expensive pre-war detached house with a built in garage. Rare in those days. It would just about take an Austin 1100. But not wide enough to allow driver and passenger doors to open. I'd guess it was the same size as most standard garages today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would think many would need some demolition or wholesale rebuilding to do that , more so if its a street as depicted on Coronation street with only small back yards accessed by an alley.

If a town has got powers or finances to do that then perhaps they would be better put to use in making more living spaces for people rather than vehicles. There has to be some provision for the storage of personal transport but nowadays many households wish to have more than one, a wish that cannot easily be accommodated.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

How are the owners expected to access this space?

Reply to
mechanic

I once had a pre war house with double garage, but it was not deep enough for my Volvo 240. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

down the back alleyway

tim

Reply to
tim...

Never seen one one that isn't muddy, potholed, littered with rubbish and generally anywhere I'd want to take my car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In the 70s when I was installing aerials in places with terraced rows and back alleys, I often needed to get the van down the alley. Sometimes women would stretch their washing lines across the alley. I was intolerant of this, especially when they did it while I was parked further along the alley. I would simply drive off, and sometimes the line would get caught on the roof ladder's hook and the washing would either fall to the ground or come home with me. I had the attitude that it was the woman's own fault.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

well that's a different matter

that can be improved

tim

Reply to
tim...

I think the guiding principle that prevails in bureaucracies across the country is to /not/ make life any easier for the evil motorist.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Many areas of terraced houses have at least one large access (although now sometimes built on) from when the houses were built - for builder's access. They didn't bring all the materials for the backs of the houses through the front doorways - or through the narrow entries. Sometimes such access became a trade premises - Blacksmiths. Shop, etc.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They built some housing association houses just round the corner here. Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

Reply to
Bob Eager

which is rarely wide enough for a car

Reply to
charles

I think it becomes a matter of getting in there before anyone else does. 'Claiming' the space for oneself, as it were.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Many of those back lanes were actually private roads - not 'adopted' by the council. With no right of access to the public - ie you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it's usually empty.

Reply to