Vaillant Code 3

Vaillant came out to fix a boiler under warranty. They changed a part (water pressure sensor) and issued a warning notice, saying "Your appliance has been fully tested and meets design specification. However during the day's visit the engineer identified non-product issues that require immediate attention. The details of any remedial work required listed below."

The engineer has ticked "code 3 system water quality. The system water failed to ability test and or colour comparison test."

There is a box to show actual turbidity level, which has been left blank, but I have received a letter from them saying "the central heating system has been overdosed with cleanser/inhibitor".

I assume it is a straightforward matter of draining the system and refilling it with the correct amount of inhibitor in.

However, I am quite surprised that is possible to overdose a system with inhibitor to the extent that it really matters. The stuff is quite expensive, so why would the fitter have put too much in? I have known the fitter for a few years now, and he strikes me as a sensible reasonable person, who generally knows what he is doing.

Reply to
GB

You would think that an official notice like that would be written with correct grammar.

I also find it odd that Google seems unaware of this form of words, I was curious as to what a code 1 or code 2 might refer to, I am none the wiser.

Reply to
Graham.

On 31/01/2017 12:19, Graham. wrote: > >> >> The engineer has ticked "code 3 system water quality. The system water >> failed to ability test and or colour comparison test."

Sorry, my dictation software corrected it. "failed to ability test " should read "failed a turbidity test "

I corrected the error elsewhere.

Anyway, my real question is how easy is, if the installer has overdosed the inhibitor, and how much does it matter?

Reply to
GB

Sounds like an arse covering exercise on their part. The water in the primary circuit was discoloured, or cloudy. Could they tell why, without a chemical analysts? At least they didn't put it down to the installer not flushing the pipework out properly and possibly invalidating the warranty. Can too much inhibitor cause corrosion, in the same way as too much fluoride causes tooth decay?

I wonder if you can get a kit to measure the concentration, like we used to use a hydrometer on our antifreeze at the onset of winter?

Reply to
Graham.

Itt sounds like excrement of the male Bovine to me, ie a way to let themselves off the hook if it breaks again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff