Parking - and Terraced housing

nd here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a secur ity issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few metres more. God forbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging cables strewn acro ss pavements.

Around here there are car parks behind the houses. I will not use them as I don't want my car set on fire like others that have been parked there.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Any competent DIYer could build/modify a garage to fit.

Reply to
harry

it's not that uncommon

50-50 perhaps

tim

Reply to
tim...

not if it's between two others in a block

tim

Reply to
tim...

True. It's very congested - we live near the station.

They've built a bus garage very near us (won't bother us). They widened the road, and now the commuters are parking in the space made!

Result...it's offloaded a lot of them from near us.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

When I went to live in Leeds in1965 it was still common to see clothes lines over public roads, running from the first floors of the terraced houses on either side of the street

Reply to
Chris Holford

They still do that in parts of the North East

Reply to
Graham.

Around here we have the additional problem that the council is allowing any old resident to get a driveway. This despite a 100 ft plus garden at the rear with an access road. This means that more and more of the footway is now driveway, meaning fewer on street parked cars but more difficulties for me due to there being no curbs or fences to follow down the road. The upshot of this is that cars are parked all over the place even in the back road stopping people using their rear garages. Really in my view all these people should have been refused permission for driveways. This would then have meant a more suitable way of parking the extra cars at the front. I strongly suspect that the allowing of these driveways was profit motivated as they have to pay the council to both allow them and to arrange to build them. I honestly feel like many people ae are almost like the Thunderbirds crews being automatically stowed in their cars straight from the inside of the house. Talk about being lazy. too lazy to walk 100 feet to their garage? Really? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think laziness plays a big part in a lot of parking.

We have a primary school and local shop at the end of our street with a rea sonably big car park. Its hardly ever full and free without any restrictio ns. There is a children's play park opposite our house and we regularly ge t people parking their cards opposite our drive (making getting in and out trickier) while they take their kids to the park for some exercise. Parkin g opposite our house means they have to walk about 20 meters less to get to the park!

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Many terraces in Leeds were back-to-back houses, so there was nowhere else to put them, apart from straight up.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

ISTR seeing that on the ground floors in Yorkshire back in the fifties/sixties. Some streets there was zero traffic. People also use street lights and telegraph posts for the washing line. You had to watch out if you were playing football in the street.

Reply to
harry