Why are cars getting wider

Looking at replacing the 11 year old estate which just fits between our house and next door (with the wooden gates folded back pretty flat against the walls. There is enough room but it can be a bit of a fiddle.
The new cars all seem to be between 7 and 10 cms wider - when you only have about 18cms to play with now....
May need to look at replacing the gates - what would be the thinest material to use to give as much space as possible?
--
John Alexander

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:30:11 PM UTC+1, John Alexander wrote:

Because people are?
Jonathan
On 20/07/2014 18:42, Jonathan wrote:

I think it is to meet standard "side impact" accidents.
Sheet metal could be made thinner than wooden gates, as could fabricated metal ones, but do they need to fold back against the walls? Perhaps you need a portcullis.
replying to newshound, dave wrote: There are some very small cars e.g. the Volkswagen UP that can still satisfy safety requirements so this can't be the reason for wider cars.
Round here the problem is now so bad that garages built only around ten years ago are too small to allow the ocupants out when in the garage! Brian
--
----- -
On 20/10/2016 20:28, Brian Gaff wrote:

Ahead of their time perhaps? Sounds as if they were designed for the new breed of BMWs which can be parked by remote control without the driver needing to be in the car.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 20/10/16 20:28, Brian Gaff wrote:

That's because they were tarts and made the garage too small in the first place!
Our rented house was less than 10 years old and a Deawoo Lanos was a tight fit.
Silly sods could easily have added 1ft to every garage - it would have made naff all difference losing 1ft off the kitchen/diner which was long anyway.

My last house, which was brand new in 2000, had a garage in a block that was built at the time. The garage was just about wide enough to open a door enough to squeeze in or out of the car, though it was a very tight squeeze. OK, I had have had to park carefully because there was a breezeblock pillar (maybe to give the wall between my garage and my neighbour's garage a bit of extra strength).
But the up-and-over doorway was *way* too narrow. I only once parked my car in the garage and that was overnight when a toerag had broken a window and tried to break into the car (thank goodness for deadlocks). And it took a long time to position myself accurately because there was only about 3" on each side. And that was for a Peugeot 306 - hardly a big car.
For most purposes, those garages were useless as car storage and everyone used them as overflow loft storage and kept their car on the allocated open-air parking for the second car in the family, which meant that my girlfriend had to find parking elsewhere whenever she came to stay. Even a guy with an old-style (Austin/Morris, rather than BMW) Mini said the garage door openings were a bit tight.
The doorways were probably about 18" narrower than the garages that they gave access to.
Interestingly, other neighbours whose garages were in another nearby block all used their garages, so I wonder if those had wider doors and/or garages.
Don't have that problem in our new house: there's no garage and the driveway is wide enough to fit two cars (including my wife's big Honda CVR) side by side and for my Peugeot to get in and out even when the CRV is parked opposite the gap in the hedge and my car is in the offset space. Takes courage to reverse straight towards her car before swinging round and missing it by about 6 inches at the closest point before swinging back to avoid the boundary hedge - one of those things that you take slowly and have to try several times till you've got the hang of it, and passenger's door mirror is always needed to check for clearance from the CRV.
Is it possible that our houses are smaller than those in most other countries? Perhaps if the designers saw how small our garages are, they might be somewhat surprised.
Brian Gaff wrote:

On Friday, 21 October 2016 13:15:21 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Surely the EU would have some sort of standard to follow so everyone has the same so that cars can be shipped to anywhere in the EU and no road will be too narrow no car to wide to go into any garage etc...

whisky-dave wrote:

You'd have thought so, but look how long it took them to sort out bananas :-)
Maybe one day in the distant future they'll get to sorting out garages.

On Friday, 21 October 2016 13:31:42 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Yeah that's true they are still bloody bent though.

That will cost a fortune they;d need to employ a couple of hundred staff then it'll take 7 years for every country to agree whether they can park in forwards or revease in and then whether it;s on the left or right side.

whisky-dave wrote:

Well, they have the money, and the staff. Not sure about the time.

they might well have a standard, but it won't be retrospective.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 21/10/2016 17:38, charles wrote:

I dunno - a big pair of rollers sited on major roads would be an option :-)

You're almost certainly right, due to the high land prices. But it's no different in other countries where building land is expensive and limited.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've heard it said that our houses are small, and it can feel like that sometimes; but other than that, I don't know.

On Friday, 21 October 2016 14:57:55 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

.
Then why don't the EU sort it out, why insist on moving refugees/asylum sek ers and economic migrants to countries like poland and romania as they have space because we have imported a significant number of health workers so I assume before they left they were living in some form of accometation whic h is now empty.

Yes it is. I've never seen a garage that has any problem with getting out of the car with the car in the garage except when there is lots of shit on the wall in the garage, and I'm in lots for garage sales.

Yeah, bet they would be. Not that they are likely to redesign their cars, much more likely to make screwing gestures beside their heads at how stupid you lot are about what houses you buy.

Rod Speed wrote:

Only those of us that don't have loads of money. The ones /with/ loads of money are probably making similar gestures.
People in the UK have decided that cars are now a more affordable status symbol than houses, so the situation is unlikely to improve.