Getting Old

There used to be a time when I could work hard all day then go out and party. I just finished building a deck, it's only 1.8m x 4m with steps and around 500 ring shank nails, but I feel like a herd of cattle have been over my knees, thighs and lower back. I don't think I could handle even a Tupperware party. Getting older is good in some respects, but not this one, definitely not this one.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

I feel your pain. I used to work on cars all day, work at an electronics shop at night, then go out partying before going home for

4 hours of sleep. That was then...

I roofed our house last month, and it took two weeks to recover. Not to mention the increase in sleep my body simply demands. And let's not forget the afternoon nap... I have laughed at my friends and their aging complaints, but it's definitely catching up with me.

The Other Greg

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I used to work on cars all day, work at an electronics shop at night, then go out partying before going home for

4 hours of sleep.

maybe this is what made you get old?

Reply to
mel

While you can't reverse aging, you can surely slow it's effects with exercise. I don't mean training for marathons, either.

A simple routine of walking, cycling, hiking, jogging, _push mowing_ the lawn, anything that you like to do that raises your heart rate and keeps it up there for a bit, done 4 times a week for about 30 minutes can make a huge difference. Add in a 20 minute stretch routine done daily, and the benefits get even better.

In fact a daily stretch would have made a huge difference in the way you felt after the roof job.

I'm only 38, but see the same "old" feelings if I do nothing for a month or so. If I keep up the routine, I feel better than when I was in my early 20's. FWIW, I occasionally bicycle with guys in their late 60's and 70's, they move right along at a good clip. One of the guys _started_ mountain biking at 61! What an inspiration!

Check with you doctor before starting something new, but TRY IT! You can start by using stairs and parking far from the BORG whenever possible.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I do a light routine at the YMCA 4 nights a week on the Nautilus machines with a little running in between. The best part is the contrast between how you feel in the locker room while you're putting on your shorts after a hard days work and the way you feel in the shower afterward. Once I overdid it on the machine for the back muscles and had terrible spasms for awhile, so I kind of tiptoe around that one, but it seems that no matter how hard you work during the day, that excercise routine is revitalizing.

Reply to
BUB 209

Old!.....you said old? I had my first child at forty-one, (not me actually, but you know what I mean), and a second 13 months later. They are now 11 and 10, making me 52. Raised them a few years by myself after their Mom passed. (I have a new respect for domestic diva's) Two years ago I met and married a 40 year old lady, (yeah, she keeps me young too) Then I retired forcibly and started investing in real estate. So now it's bring my Daughter to school at 7:30, ride my exercise bike for 1/2 hour, go to work on houses all day, and some evenings, Karate classes 3 times a week (for the kids and I, just got my purple belt) play in the woodshop as often as possible. Still play Hockey Saturday nights, racquetball when I can get to the courts. Oh yeah I hurt, from years of football knee's, and hockey slams, bending, stooping, climbing. I feel every pain, and because I do, I know that I am alive, and I relish that. The alternative really sucks. That doesn't mean I don't complain and groan, that too is part of getting older....................and having three younger people to wait on me.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

(OBWW) Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head! How did such a young puppy like you learn "the trick"? :)

At 60, if I don't walk everyday, I feel 85 ... and 60 is plenty bad enough by itself. It somehow seems the more active you were when younger, the worse it is.

Instead of driving, I walk to the Post Office, 3 mile round trip; the grocery store for small items, 1 mile round trip, and so on ... I have measured 1, 2, and 3 mile routes marked out, depending upon my time and inclination, but never less than a mile, even in bad weather. Besides, if you walk 20 minutes in one direction, you have to walk 20 minutes to get back

Not only does walking cost nothing but shoe leather, the savings in monthly cholesterol and blood pressure medicine can be enormous at the rip-off prices, and leave more for the tool/wood budget.

Just like smoking, you can make it a habit. Do that by forcing yourself to walk everyday for one month, no matter what ... after that it will be harder to break the habit than it is to go ahead and walk.

Reply to
Swingman

I work just as hard as I did when I was young....I just don't get as much done.

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I helped Jr. tile his kitchen and dining room. He'd take the measurements, and I'd run outside squat down in front of the wet saw on the ground and do the cuts. Next day, I discovered you really do have butt muscles.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I'm 64 and will start doing the Medicare dance in another couple months. I get up at 5 am to the sound of creaking and groaning (LOML said "is that you or is the house settling?" (smart ass)). If I didn't get a half hour of aerobics in and walk to the post office, I don't know what would happen. Is fear of the unknown an incentive?

Just remember the old Swedish say> There used to be a time when I could work hard all day then go out and

Reply to
jo4hn

A friend tells me that that is a good thing. If you wake up and don't hurt all over, you probably are dead....

-Bruce

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Another thing, don't be lazy. Instead of driving around the parking lot for

15 minutes to get close to the door, park at the back.

If you shop at any of these modern developments with clusters of strip malls all in a somewhat centralized location, park somewhere in the middle. Walk to K-Mart's hideous bullseye cousin, walk to Home Despot, etc.

SWMBO and I don't agree on this score at all. She'll drive from one store to another, to another, to another, and only go one mile. It's funny when we go out together. The kids and I walk from store to store, while she drives.

Reply to
Silvan

You know you're getting old when:

- Happy hour means a nap;

- your back goes out more often than you do.

Groggy wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

You should know that bass playing sound guys learn fast.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Crap, I had no idea my wife was cheating, let alone another husband. Since we share the same wife, can I at least borrow some of your tools?

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

I'm not looking forward to getting old. I already wake up to creaking and groaning at early 30-something. My neck cracks and pops, my shoulders make chunka chunka noises, my knees crack, my hips pop... I'm going to be a mess.

Reply to
Silvan

Hey, I am 74 years old and work 3 or 4 days a week. Days off and night in my work shop. I make brooms and wagon wheels. Better to wear out than to rust out.

Reply to
Pete

And if you do the tile laying, then back muscles, arm muscles, leg muscles, and sore knees are all telling you that they don't care for that kind of thing!

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Real, full sized wagon wheels, with the iron tires?

One of my grandfather's did that ... he was both a blacksmith and a wheelwright.

Reply to
Swingman

I'll do this if I think the stuff in the car is visible & too tempting. Twice stuff has been "liberated." Once was a company parking lot, the other in front of house, and I've no desire for a third.

Who usually gets there first?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde