Getting Old

Nah, you're full of shit on that score Monsieur Jacques. STFW and see how many calories and stuff hazle nuts, pecans, almonds and walnuts have.

The highest is 200 calories per 1/4 cup. I can get maybe half a cup of nuts in my hand, tops. That's only 400 calories. So nyah!

Very little saturated fat too.

I should stock up on these things if they're still available. They're probably not though. Nuts are a limited window thing.

Salad... Well, by the time I pick out all the stuff I won't eat from a salad, I'm left with carrots, so what's the point? (I like cucumber too, but if I eat one slice of cucumber, I blow noxious fumes out both ends for six hours.)

Vegetables are a real problem for me. Their taste ranges from unappealing (lettuce, which tastes like dirty paper covered with ear wax) to foul (bell peppers and broccoli, which taste like hearing aid batteries covered with ear wax) to poisonous (onions, which taste like spit it out spit it out spit it out).

Even carrots frequently taste like ear wax. Finding good carrots is difficult, since they all look the same on the outside. Baby carrots are a safer bet than full-grown carrots.

Anyway, I'd probably be dead without fruit. I can eat almost everything, though I mostly limit myself to granny smith apples and seedless white grapes.

As far as bread, anybody telling me not to eat bread is barking up the wrong tree. At least this bread wasn't dripping with melted cheese and orange grease.

Hey, you can top everything with shellac too. That's the live food that's a beverage too.

Reply to
Silvan

Mike,

A number of us use Teranews

and it works well. You need to provide a credit card for ID purposes (no charges) but that's it. I am happy with them after 2 yrs. It doesn't catch everything, but most of it is caught.

Ping me if you need more info.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Nothing like that, I don't suspect, but I guess it's a thought that shouldn't be dismissed so easily. Her perpetual state of fatigue and unwillingness to be motivated into doing anything that smacks of exercise really could be due to some malady. (Or she could just have assal couchalitis and chocoholia.)

The day length thing is something I well understand. I suffer from that very seriously. Hits me hard in August because everything is busy busy busy while mentally I'm winding down into a funk. I hate August. I'd like to strike it from the calendar.

Anyway, she definitely isn't affected by the seasons the way I am, so that's out.

Sitting here thinking about it, I guess I'm to blame for some of this. I walk, but she doesn't walk with me. Why? I walk in the woods. The woods are interesting. They're also filled with hills and rocks and bugs and thorns.

I should probably suck it up and start walking with her in the mall or something.

Worth a try. Hell, take her by Sears. Crapsman stuff isn't *that* bad. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

Bleah, don't remind me. I'm going to have a pair of those before I know it. My babies are already 10 and 7 respectively. When the hell did that happen?

It's an interesting thought. I can't think out loud about various aspects of my response to this idea without airing a bunch of dirty laundry, but I must admit that as I have sat here and thought about it, we probably really do have some communications issues.

Mom is sort of our go-between, but Mom isn't a detached third party.

May not be able to afford to pay for something? Me? Whatever gave you that idea?

I have $27 right here. Is that enough? :)

(This credit card thing really is kicking our ass. We're supposed to be out this August, but I don't see it happening. I think the five-year estimate was too optimistic. I'm hoping debt-free by 2006 though. Not much longer to endure this self-imposed poverty.)

Reply to
Silvan

True, but if it weren't for these damned telomeres we wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Aging is something the body does to itself.

Reply to
Silvan

My knees have been singing the *Rice Krispies* song ever since my mid 20's. Too much of teen years spent tending milking machines on dairy farm.

Growing old is not for sissies!

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Back in the mid-70's I was working in Thailand, when the site I was at was being shut down. All of us, no matter what our normal job was, were put to work crateing everthing up.

Seems that IIRC, the plywood was mahogny, and the 2x4's etc were something called ironwood.

non of us americans could drive a nail through that ironwood without using piolt holes, lubrication, etc, . Typically, we would try a standard framing type hammer, and the nails would just bend right over.

Typically american solution, get a bigger hammer. Nope.... same thing.

We had several local Thai carpenters helping us. It was funny to see your average american trying to drive the nails using the biggest hammer he could find with no luck, but then the Thai would walk up (all 4'10" 90lbs of him), pull out his hammer wich seemd to be maybe a 10oz framing type hammer, and tap, tap, tap, the nail was all the way in. No pilot holes, no soaping the nails or anything.

We did happen to notice that althought the Thai's hammer seemd to have a smaller head on it than a standard hammer, the handle was a couple of inches longer.

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

See it here:

this helps.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

LMAO!! I'm printing a dozen copies of this one. :)

Reply to
Silvan

hey, mine do that all ready, and I'm not even 20 too many bike accidents I guess.

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

A trick I learned from my uncle is to hold the middle of the nail or spike firmly with a pair of pliers. Helps dampen the flex which leads to bending. I grew up on a ranch & used the technique a lot on corrals, sheds, etc. Even with pilot holes driving spikes into PT posts can be a challenge.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

That reminds me of a verse from an old song:

I wake up each morning and dust off my wits Pick up the newspaper and read the obits And if my name's not there, then I know I'm not dead So I have a nice breakfast and go back to bed

John Carlson

Or depression? There are lots of posibilities. My wife (mid 50's) was balooning quite badly until she found that she was allergic to wheat and milk. She also got some counselling after we found she was suffering PTSD from the death of her father, 25 years ago. Since then she has been able to get back into her old wardrobe. Of course, she still used it as an excuse to buy a new wardrobe, but that's one of the ways to keep her happy.

You might consider a complete physical checkup, and if the doctor doesn't find anything, a mental health evaluation would be in order.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell