Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

Sort of a woodworking post...

When the choice is given to me to use a nail or a screw, I almost always choose the screw. Only time I choose a nail is when it is a finishing nail and the head is meant to sort of disappear on the application.

My logic is that screws don't eventually walk out if there are temperature fluctuations, people walking on the surface, etc.

When is a nail a better choice?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

One obvious place is when you are constructing something quick and dirty. I have some basic racks Ihave to build into a garage in the next week or so. I have one day. Sooo...., I just bang it together with nails. It ain't pretty. But it is fast. I am going to glue everything though. I figure the extra strength from the glue justifies the small amount of time to apply the glue.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think screws are popular for two reasons.

First, most people can't drive a nail anymore. I have carpenters that work for me from time to time that think their hammers are just adjustment tools. Without airtools, they beat the crap out of material, can't get joints to line up, and it in some cases they simply can't get the job done at all. I am now at an age where many younger "carpenters" have never worked solely with hammer and nails all day for any reason. I always make sure we have pneumatic equipment on the job now, and have for years.

Second, with the differences in today's materials screws are an important part of different aspects of construction. They are invaluable in my repairs as I don't vibrate or move things around like I do when driving large nails. Also, when using mdf, crappy plywood, etc., nails simply won't hold. Some mdf is too hard to nail together, and the nails won't hold if you get them in at all.

I still use a lot of nails. I use pneumatic and hand nails, and my stuff doesn't fall apart. Just think how many old houses aren't screwed together , from framing to cabinets and trim, and they are still standing...

I cannot explain that to my idiot neighbor. He spend an untold amount of money and time screwing fence boards onto his new fence. He was out there forever, thinking his fence would last as well as The Pyramids if it was screwed together. He had something like $275 bucks in screws, when he could have borrowed my utility nailer and bought a box of ring shanked galvanized nails for $55 and been through in a day.

It took him four weekends, working both days to attach with screws. I could only surmise he was just doing it for the fun.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

In = news: snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com dropped this bit of = wisdom:

Ain't it da truth=20

I don't know about your "idiot neighbor", but I put in stainless steel = screws so they would rot a greatly reduced rate and, maybe, be reused = when the boards rotted.

Other than this 1 item, I concur.

Everywhere one looks one sees the next generation knowing less about = manual labour and more about ??????????

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

A good screw costs money. What I like about them is that I get the 'suck' when screwing two boards together. An airnailer just doesn't do that...I find I'm invariably driving those home with an after blow from my trusty 26 oz Estwing. I really do like those nifty self- drilling stainless screws for out-door projects.

Reply to
Robatoy

I still will occasionally use the nail-by-nail technique to get that suck.

Hit one nail, pulls the piece in a bit, then hit the other nail... back and forth.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well I wouldn't want to do what your neighbor did, but I can tell you that ring shank nails in Western Red Cedar fences (that are *everywhere* here in Texas) don't hold forever, probably because of extreme drying and shrinking in the boards. When that happens, all my repair work is done by pulling out the nails and driving screws in their place. Works for me.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Nails are cheaper.

A properly heat-treated screw is about as strong in shear strength as a nail the same size as the shaft, but is stronger in pull-out.

There are comparatively few screws that are actually rated and approved for structural applications.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Maybe the only screwing he ever gets to do. Or, he's an engineer of some sort; they typically like to overbuild stuff.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

My local lumberyard has an interesting tool/fastener. It goes in with a pneumatic tool like an air nailer, but it has spiral threads and a phillips head and comes out like a screw.

Alternately, you can get auto-feed screw guns for use with collated screws.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

When you wear flannel shirts and speak with a Bahston accent.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

t ring shank nails

hat happens, all my

place. =A0Works for me.

Works for me, too. As far as fences go (odd.... I am replacing about

50 boards on a client's house this week as part of other work) the reason I see most verticals become loose is because they installers used 1 1/2" nails. I have used 2" for years, and no problems yet. *knocks on wood*

The repair of a fence is a perfect home for screws. The fence is probably already older, maybe a bit rickety, and not something that will take any kind of vibration from my 22 oz hammer. So screws are the perfect choice. Plus, screws make the homeowners feel really good about having high quality repairs at their home.

Screws also work great for deck repairs, and I couldn't imagine a better solution for loose or deformed deck boards. Plenty of places to use screws, no doubt.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:DlLym.22361$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

*snip*

When visiting some family, we took a trip out on their boat. The dock had been recently redone, using new material and nails. The only reason we could think of using nails instead of screws was that they figured the dock would rot fairly quickly anyway, and the nails would be easier to get back up.

All speculation, of course, but might we have been on the right track?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Why a heat treated screw? Nails are dead soft.

Reply to
CW

Tru dat. A standard framing nail has a shear streangth of something like 16,000lbs. A screw designed for strength (like a cabinet screw, not a drywall screw) is probably a 1/3 that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't know about your "idiot neighbor", but I put in stainless steel screws so they would rot a greatly reduced rate and, maybe, be reused when the boards rotted.

Other than this 1 item, I concur.

Everywhere one looks one sees the next generation knowing less about manual labour and more about ??????????

P D Q

My experience is that replacing a fence is enough work with out having to save and reuse any parts. I get about 20 years out of galvanized nails in a fence application and typically the rest of the fence is about ready to go also.

Reply to
Leon

Cant say that I agree. I have probably replaced 15-20 fences and the nails are still holding well enough that we cut the rails from the posts and carry the section to the trailer. Typically the boards rot out on the bottom and begin sagging. I see galvanized nails lasting a good 20 years.

Reply to
Leon

BINGO!

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine taking a fence apart to save some old screws. I am tight, but not that tight.

Right on the spot as usual, Leon.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I was given a 50lb. box of dry wall screws by my buddy. So I screw everything ..

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

We won't go there.

Lew