SOT: Spring for refinished chair

I have an antique office chair, all refinished. But I can't find a replacement spring for the rocker mechanism. It is very simple, just an extension spring about 5 inches long and 1 1/4 inch in diameter. At least that is the one I have in there now. But it isn't nearly heavy enough. When you start to tip back it goes all the way with just a little force. I have looked and looked and can't find anything any heavier. Does any body know where I can find something like that?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
BillGill

I used to have a spring catalog around here. I am sure there are many on line. You know the length and diameter of the spring. Is there anyway that you could mount a larger spring in its place?

Anyway, when I was building some things tht needed springs, I just consulted the catalog. There is an incredible variety of strengths and sizes. Or call a spring supply house and talk to somebody. Or ask on line.

Remember, you are not looking for a chair part. You are looking for a spring. Consult the spring guys.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?

Steve Turner

Personally, I'd ask this question in rec.crafts.metalworking as there are some spring guys there and/or spring manufacturing guys there.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:19:37 -0600, the infamous BillGill scrawled the following:

Call the spring shop nearest you to see if they do this type. If so, take the chair and spring down and have them find one which works. The ones I recall on my grandfather's old office chairs were thick suckahs, maybe 3/16-1/4" steel, a couple inches in diameter, and a few inches long, tapered. Trick lookin' to a kid. But they were all compression springs, not extension. I've never seen the style you described.

Or call these guys. Give them the brand/age of the chair you want to repair. They might have one in stock.

is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you have trouble finding your spring via a spring company, here are links that may help:

Leggett & Pratt (I think Pratt has been dropped) is a manufacturer of furniture hardware.

this link
I'm not sure if you would go to the residential or commercial furniture link

.... note their listing of companies on the Web.

of these companies should have what you need.

I often deal with Omega Motion for hardware/components for upholstery/ furniture products, similar to what you are looking for

Omega has your item, you can call customer service at 662-869-1060 ext 36 (Missy) or ext 38.

This link might help:

Sonny

====================================== First you are going to need some physical information.

1) Spring ID & OD. (This will also give you the wire diameter) 2) Free length.

3) Extended length.

4) Number of turns.

5) End terminations.

6) Any physical space limitations such as max/min spring diameter, min/max working length.

Armed with this information, you can start with an office furniture hardware supplier or plan "B" would be to contact a spring distributor or maniufacturer.

It's been a long time since I designed springs and I've forgotten how to determine spring constants (K), but you need to know that spring measurements are all interdependant so they need to be accurate.

If you have a digital camera, take some pictures which may be useful to the supplier.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett