Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

Actually, I buried the hole up and moved on. You guys are back there with shovels, trying to throw me back in.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, cats do that to when they take a shit. :)~

RicodJour

My condition never changed. I tried to get past the false terminology by saying, "shear (tear off like being cut, or whatever the proper scientific terminology is)" in the hopes that someone would understand what I was getting at.

You started to help and provide some helpful information with that lawnmower portion and said the info was meaningless..

I replied that there are "...testing situations that never happen in the real world..." and I even used a smiley face to try to convey that I wasn't being argumentative. And you said I was, "writing nonsense."

That is when I perceived that you weren't interested in a dialog anymore, and so I reverted to name calling.

Accepted. I apologize to you for the name calling.

As I explained above, I was trying to get there, but everyone just thought I was backpedaling. I guess we've spent too much time listening to politicians.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Go f*ck yourself, Watson. :-)

Reply to
Robatoy

Hmmm, I've read most of Conan Doyle - don't remember that quote.

RicodJour

Typical wood screws are not heat treated. They are made of a low carbon, cold work steel. The rolling and heading process compact the steel increasing toughness without making it britle.

Reply to
CW

What's a "typical" wood screw? Spax screws are definitely heat-treated, and they're actually cheaper than the junk at big box stores. Same thing for the Robertson screws available at Lee Valley. I imagine the ones from McFeeleys' are also heat-treated, they certainly did well in the test in Woodworking magazine.

I've basically given up on low-grade screws and will only use the premium stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:39:20 -0500, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

That's not shearing, that's bending, and the screw isn't built for that. True shearing test is to screw 2 2x4s together and hold on in the vise while you hit the other on directly on the 2" side, along the

4" plane. (dims referential)

I've tried shearing two 3" deck screws that way and couldn't do it with my 220 lbs + a jumping stomp.

They're brittle enough to bend and break in your test, though, because the end is unsupported. But try lagging a 2x4 to an upright 4x4 post, then screwing a 2x4 to it. Now lay a 2x6 on top and screw it to the outer 2x4 and jump on the 2x6 with your heaviest buddy. I'll bet you don't shear it if they are all securely tightened. No fair if the

2-by splits first. That means you put a torsion force on it, not a shear force.

Go on. I double dare ya! ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:00:03 -0400, the infamous Tom Watson scrawled the following:

2 points, Tawmy.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:08:21 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

What, you don't think a coarse 1-5/8" tool is exciting to girls? Poor Jer...

Reply to
Larry Jaques