Learning about home repairs

Hello everyone:

We recently bought a country home, and now we are having problems with a leaking roof, the bathroom ceiling recently fell in, so I now have a 6 by

4 hole in my bathroom. We are looking to repair or replace the roof. If we decide to replace the shingled roof what type of roof would be best for an A framed roof?

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 348934 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Dave-Morris

Hello everyone:

We recently bought a country home, and now we are having problems with a leaking roof, the bathroom ceiling recently fell in, so I now have a 6 by

4 hole in my bathroom. We are looking to repair or replace the roof. If we decide to replace the shingled roof what type of roof would be best for an A framed roof?

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 348934 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Dave-Morris

probably shingles, although you will likely need roof sheathing replaced too

fix roof before worrying about cieling down

Reply to
bob haller

If cost is no object, a standing-seam metal roof. Properly installed, it will outlive you, and probably your kids. And if you live in snow country, the snow slides right off.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Shingles? What kind of shingles?

If wood, the most common solution is to tear off everything that's there, cover with plywood and tar paper, then install the best grade asphalt shingles you can afford.

Alternative #1: Step down in quality on the installed shingles, from 30-year to 20-year.

Alternative #2: Don't tear off the existing roof - simply add asphalt shingles on top of the existing roof.

Note: If the home is truly in the country, you may get by with light-colored shingles. They will minimize cooling costs. In city environments, the amount of junk in the air quickly discolors light-tinted roof coverings, making them look, as my gay barber says, totally horrid.

Reply to
HeyBub

jeck had written this in response to

:

I would think almost anything since the pitch of the roof is so great not much rain or snow is going to stay put. Most of the A frame houses i have seen are cedar shake or shingle. The next one would be fibreglass(ashfault shingles).

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 349633 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
jeck

jeck had written this in response to

: I would think almost anything since the pitch of the roof is so great not much rain or snow is going to stay put. Most of the A frame houses i have seen are cedar shake or shingle. The next one would be fibreglass(ashfault shingles). __________________

[url=
removal [/url] [url=
Electrical contractor Atlanta[/url] [url=
Epoxy coating [/url]