I have a little (about 1.5 cu. ft.) refrigerator that died---doesn't cool and makes no sound.
There is a kind of circuit breaker inside the "relay assembly". That breaker butts up against the compressor, and apparently it is supposed to sense overheating of the compressor. The breaker can be removed from the rest of the relay assembly. It makes a rattling sound when I shake it. When I bypass that breaker, the fridge seems to work fine.
Is that breaker designed for fire safety or just to protect the compressor from overheating?
I don't mind risking the compressor being ruined or the whole fridge being ruined since I got it for free.
Of course I wouldn't want to risk burning the house down.
Would I be risking a fire if I remove that breaker and use the fridge?
Thanks for your help!