Gibson guitars raided by feds

guitars raided in federal rosewood investigation

Leading global guitar maker Gibson says it is co-operating with US federal agents following a raid on its Nashville factory as part of an investigation into use of endangered rainforest wood.

US Fish & Wildlife Service agents descended on Gibson's Massman Drive factory on Tuesday under the US Lacey Act, which was recently updated to criminalise the import of illegally felled wood, including sawn timber and joinery products. Wood, instruments and files are thought to have been removed by agents.

Rosewood from Madagascar is believed to be under investigation.

Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, a board member of the Rainforest Alliance, stepped down from the group following the raid.

"Gibson Guitar makes every effort to ensure that all its wood purchases are legal and is also working to increase the amount of wood purchased from certified sources, including FSC-certified wood," the company said in a statement.

"The company will continue to co-operate fully and assist our federal government with all inquiries and information."

Rosewood is prized among guitar makers as a prime tonewood (used primarily in back and sides of guitars) and is sourced from many countries, including India, Brazil, Madagascar and Honduras.

Gibson is part of Greenpeace's MusicWood Coalition, along with rival guitar makers Taylor and Martin, which seeks to increase the availability of traditional woods used by instrument makers that can be FSC-certified.

Reply to
DGDevin

Oh jeez... You had me nervous. Just shipped to Fender and didn't quite remember the name of the "guitar company" that we sold to. I thought I jsut saw my NET30 turn into NET-NEVER.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

Unfortunately for Fender and guitar lovers, it is likely that the only way to really slow down illegal logging is the same way we are beginning to slow down poaching of rare animals, by making all trade of certain rare commodities. In the case of elephants, it's ivory. In the case of the forests, it's certain rare woods.

At least for now, instead of cutting down our few remaining trees, it might be a better course of action to recycle tonewood from existing sources (pianos?), just as many of us reuse wood from old furniture, or use wood mined from rivers, lakes, and bogs. Another course of action would be to pursue research in developing man-made substitutes for endangered natural products.

Reply to
scritch

Maple neckfret board on my Tele. I'm safe. (Doesn't look as nice, but sounds crisper and is faster.)

Reply to
Robatoy

And another one bites the dust.

In other stories... Social Security actuaries arrive in Sedona.

Reply to
mkt_value