Glass wheel for Worksharp WS2000

I've recently picked up a Worksharp WS2000 sharpener and like it so far, but I noticed on the sandpaper that the areas of the wheel that don't have direct contact with the plastic wheel (due to it not being a solid wheel) are not getting worn and the areas that have contact are getting worn quickly. I thought maybe I'd pickup the glass wheel to remedy this, but I notice that it says for the WS3000 only.

Does anyone know why it can't be used on the WS2000, or has someone tried it anyways?

TIA, Shawn

Reply to
Ulfius

I think the difference between the two models is that the more expensive one has the four bevel angles quick set jig on it. Wheels, glass or the slotted plastic ones should work on both - though $20 for a glass wheel seems a bit much.

Reply to
charlie b

I have the WS3000 and Charlie is correct about the bevel angles. There are four detents, 20, 25,30 & 35 degrees.

I didn't realize that the WS2000 came without the glass wheels and can't see why they wouldn't work. After checking the online user manual for the WS2000 I was surprised to see the manual specifically warns against trying to use them.

Reply to
Nova

Strange. The 2000 and 3000 seem to have the same motor and basic set up - except for the four position tool holder? - and yet they specify that the tempered glass disks are NOT to be used on the 2000?

Sounds like a Marketing Department playing Product Differentation. Actually it could be because the WS2000 spins at 1750 and the WS3000 spins as 580 - and the extra weight of the glass disks spinning three times faster on the WS2000 might tear up the bearings.

But it should be noted that the base price of the units is only the beginning of the ACTUAL cost. The PSA (peel and stick adhesive) abbrasive disks can't be used again once removed. So if you use four or five grits to go from regrind to mirror finish SHARP - you either need THREE tempered glass disks (a grit on each face of each gives you six surfaces for up to 6 different grits) - or - a LOT of "sand paper" circles - OR - for the WS2000 - four or five slotted plastic disks. So add another $60 to $80 to the price tag.

Reply to
charlie b