Guitars and Wood Working integrated.

Was double verifying Nut replacement on the neck for a Fender strat.
One old codger who has been a luthier of years mentioned that he used a dab of Shellac on the neck instead of Glue, especially the instant setting Synthetic stuff which I hate doing as it is so permanent and it strips wood out of the groove for the nut, depending on the amount used.
I thought. WOW. what a great idea and easy to "undo" or repair.
Then I thought about good old horse glue, even easier on the wood, etc, than shellac, or so it would seem to me.
Has anyone here used either? With bone or synthetics?
I just replaced the nut and the two hold downs for strings 1-4 with Tusq XL with integrated lube and WOW!

I like to use a little snot-from-the-oven-door .. it falls somewhere between CA and shellac on the scale of adhesives. John T.
On Thu, 24 May 2018 22:47:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I am assuming you mean splatter residue?
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 9:49:08 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

Hi OFWW I Never used shellac for that but it sounds good and reasonable as long as 2 mating surfaces are flat. I use a small dab ot white Elmers , the cheap stuff.
I also make a lot of replacement nuts and saddles from Cow Bone. Belt sand Some Bome scraps Save the bone dust in a small tin below your belt sander. Its handy for slot repairs when they are too deep. Mix it with epoxy and fill the slot. Let cure then re-cut the slot to a higher measurement . to avoid a buzz at fret #1 rick B.
On Fri, 25 May 2018 07:08:22 -0700 (PDT), Rick the antique guy

Corona Dope works if you have it.
On Fri, 25 May 2018 07:08:22 -0700 (PDT), Rick the antique guy

Never would have thought of that, interesting. How's the wear and the tone affected.
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 5:35:01 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:

No tone dampening that I can detect . The wear is a pretty good and relative to the epoxy strength. Some folks use superglue but I think it's too brittle. It really is a Band Aid repair, until You feel it's neccessary replace the nut. rick B