Compatible Ckt Breakers For A LX112-24 Box by the Federal Pacific Electric Co. ?

Hello

Want to add a few circuit breakers to an existing box in a residence.

Hate to pull one out to take to HD, and realize that there are many different physical sizes of these things.

Was wondering if anyone might happen to know what circuit breaker models (single pole, 15 amp) will fit in a:

LX112-24 by the Federal Pacific Electric Company

who I understand is no longer in business. (true ?)

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Look on eBay for used Federal Pacific stuff. The good ones are new ones made in Canada, but there are plenty of old ones around. If you look at what the above posters say, the problem with these breakers only applies to the double pole breakers. The single pole breakers work just fine. I have them and I have tested every one of them.

Reply to
scott21230

The following is taken from a newsgroup post:

Federal Pacific circuit breakers - class lawsuit in NJ - registration ended 4- 20-2005 - includes damages, including three times the cost of replacement is for Federal Pacific Electric Company (FPE) circuit breakers which do not comply with UL standards as a result of cheating during the Underwriter's Laboratory certification process when FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers were manufactured in the 1965 -1980 time period. the breakers: FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers manufactured and sold between June 29,

1971 and July 1, 1980 the outside of the electrical panel or inside of the door cover must say Federal Pacific Electric Company (not Federal Pacific Equipment Inc.)

------ Does your panel cover match? Panel installed in that period? UL decertified some breakers from this period, and I think there have been some problems associated with them.

Bud--

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
Bud

I looked into this a year or so ago and I don't recall that the UL retraction applied to double-pole breakers? Are you absolutely sure on this (not saying it's not right, but I surely never picked up on it when looking myself)?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Federal Pacific is long out of business, and for good reasons.

Federal Pacific Stab-loc breaker panels are notorious for burning up, and the breakers are notorious for failure to trip, and should be considered hazardous.

They were cheap junk when first installed, and they don't get any better with age, and should be replaced ASAP.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

According to :

The ones made in Canada are branded "Federal Pioneer". They do not appear to have had the same problems as the US ones. Federal Pioneer is still being manufactured:

See

and:

You can mailorder brand new FPE breakers from Canadian sources.

They're commonly available in Canadian hardware/bigbox retailers.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

How exactly did you test them? Please explain.

Reply to
Tekkie®