Completely OT- Legal tender

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in

10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it anyway.

You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.

Reply to
George

"The Medway Handyman" >

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over them watching them do that?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject of yours.

Reply to
paul

You can jumble it up, but is your time really worth so little you can stand and wait while they count it?

If they accept payment by cheque you could pay by 300 cheques for 10p each. It'll cost them that much to bank each cheque. (Just make sure you don't pay cheque charges to your bank though.) Most printers will take cheque-sized pieces of paper - saves time handwriting them all.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd chuck it all in together and make them count it.

Either that, or write them a cheque for £30.01

Reply to
Andy Hall

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

There's a well-known fictitious law case about a cheque written on a cow.

I think most banks now have contractual conditions allowing them to dishonour or surcharge for cheques on non-approved forms.

If the shark^Wcheque is dishonoured the parking fascists will probably add a further penalty to the bill.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And a cow, brick, egg etc. Many urban myths that may or may not be true. In the alledged case of the cow, the bank purportedley honoured the cheque but levied substantial bank charges for the upkeep of the cow!!!

Might be an interesting experience... My bank told me , about 20 years ago, the then correct procedure for writing an uncrossed cheque using nominally crossed cheque forms. A friend wanted to pay me back some money and I wanted cash - so I got him to adopt the procedure described by my bank - something like writing "Please pay cash" and signing between the crossing lines, IIRC, it was a long time ago. Took it to the bank - some "debate" followed by the manager appearing, and eventually agreeing to do it "just this once"...

Might be fun to try paying a cheque to oneself written on a plain bit of paper just to see how they take it.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It won't make a blind bit of difference to them, just the person who counts it out in front of, by the end of which, you'll both be pissed off...or you could just dump it on them and then geta demand for the remainder ;-p

Reply to
Phil L

Then either the site is wrong, you have misread it or you misunderstand the concept of legal tender. Legal tender only has meaning within the very narrow definition of repayment of a debt. In that case and only in that case, if you offer the exact amount due in legal tender and the payment is refused, which it can be, you cannot subsequently be sued for non-payment of the debt. A parking fine is not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does not apply. It follows the normal rules of a transaction - that the method of payment has to be agreed by both parties.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Nice advert, good to know what type of person we could be dealing with.

Reply to
fox_irtmxy

IANAL

In that case, if payment is offered and refused, where does that leave our friendly local handyman ?

By the refusal of payment, it would seem to follow that they don't actually want the payment after all...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

But then you'll have to wait while they count it...

...of course if you are off work after the mishap the other day.

Frankly parking restrictions however annoying ( and you don't even know what that means until you try some of the inner London boroughs) are part of the game. Parking meters fees and or having to unload and park up are part of the game and the customer has to pay either directly or indirectly.

Only the big national companies can ignore the rules (how do they work that?) e.g. BT

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly comment isn't it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Time? No. Satisfaction? Yes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason. Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can you - f****it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thought of that, but a cheque isn't legal tender. Coins are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Parking rules aside, you have not answered the OP question, which has a totally different set of rules. Quite why you have to ram home what the OP has come to the conclusion of, beats me.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I rather like that idea. Do you think I will get away with paying my council tax that way?

Dave

Reply to
Dave