Completely OT- Legal tender

We've had one in Asda for a few years. It seems popular, depite it keeping

10% of the proceeds. Quite a high commission!
Reply to
<me9

funny how some assume all laws must be reasonable and right. While most mostly are, there is always going to be the odd rogue one, and some can be right out there on occasion. Why? People with inadequate basic sense or subject knowledge can sometimes be involved in implementing them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Parking wardens have been getting intimidated on the street for many a decade, and it doesnt seem to have made any difference so far.

The truth is the only one in the equation that even cares is the one being ticketed, and there isnt squat you or we can do about it. Some battles are lost before theyre begun, and thats just the truth of it.

Counting coins is nothing, just a normal part of any cashier's job. Sorry. If you want to vent your anger to any effect you're going to need to step back and look at all this again, and bark up a different tree.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Tres simple mon ami.......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Posibly because we don't intimidate them enough :-)

The people in the parking office are part of the system. They know full well it's an unjust fund raising project, but they carry on working for the kings shilling.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't fight injustice.

That's the trouble with the UK - the 'musn't grumble' mentality. Do you think the French would put up with the shit we do?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Unfair comment MrHall He/She might of had a good job before taking up traffic warden employment,possibly he/she was forced into redundancy or closure of the firm he/she was working at for donkeys years and when that happens they only know that job and dont have qualifications to seek better pay and working conditions. which will force them into these type of jobs especially if they have mouths to feed. Miniumum wage I think they're paid? and lets face it you need balls to do there job.

Lets hope your working days hold out till retirement? otherwise you might end up doing a shitty job.

ending note, define a better job?

Reply to
George

Nothing I can see in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions

2002 says that the sign marking the start of the speed limit has to be larger than the repeater signs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It wants what?

Do people actually use this? This rate is higher than the forex places in the airports.

Do shoppers then proceed off to buy their Lottery tickets?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I disagree.

This is a poor excuse about not taking charge of one's own destiny

There are risks everywhere. It's an individual's responsibility to choose appropriate paths at appropriate times.

That depends on the individual's perspective.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Jan 17, 9:01 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote: That's not evidence that "Many wardens are liars"

It's not silly at all. It is simply one facet of the state that the nation has been allowed to degenerate into, by allowing the pursuit of financial 'results' unhindered by any moral considerations. If you want evidence of this, peruse the pepipoo (sp ?) site mentioned above. I think you must have been missing out on something. Do you live in the UK?

One personal experience; I got a PCN for parking in a Residents' bay whilst looking at a job. I wasn't parked in a residents' bay; I was parked on an adjacent yellow line, but there were no notices as to the relevant restrictions. It seems the warden had lied; they are on commission and do that a lot. It happens all the time.

However, not knowing the rules or appeal procedures and not having the time to waste in researching it, I paid the =A340. Now, the PCN said that if you want a receipt, enclose a stamped addressed envelope. So, I enclosed a SAE. After X days, I haven't heard anything, so fearing I might get an =A380 penalty, I send another SAE by registered post. Eventually I got some routine machine generated response, but in a pre-paid (by council) envelope.

So what do you imagine happens to all the 1st class stamps sent in by motorists wanting a receipt? Does the council employ a stamp steamer? Are they binned?

What happens is that someone steals them. Someone in a supervisory position indulging in a lucrative bit of petty theft. It happens all the time.

Reply to
Aidan

ha.

and will carry on, regardless of 1% of fine payers' antics. Its not as if its a dream job, people solely do it because they need the money.

My dear man, I'm not saying one should not fight injustice, I'm saying you aren't fighting injustice. What you propose will have no effect at all. This may seem a bitter pill to swallow, but if you stand back a moment and look at the whole picture you may see a different opportunity, one that will be effective.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The law sets out minimum requirements, but there is good practice which goes beyond this:

signs are recommended to be significantly larger than repeaters.

Reply to
John Laird

One other thing was that it was a street off a main road, wide enough so that you could have parked cars on both sides without causing an obstruction.

About 25 to 40% of the available 'parking' was taken up with the residents parking bays, the rest had a single yellow line. No meters visible, no legal parking (I had driven round the block looking). Why would they have done that?

Why they do that is that they get far more revenue from penalties than from meters, they don't have to buy meters and they don't have to pay someone to collect and count the change. Is this moral conduct?

I didn't do the job because of the parking diffivulties.

Reply to
Aidan

Do you have evidence for that or are you just guessing?

If the latter, I reckon my guess that they've just binned them is more likely. Hanlon's Razor.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I think that this is far from fair. If you have been out of the workforce for any one of a number of reasons, there is a lot be said for getting a job, any job, as a lever to the next as you will at least then have an employer's reference as to things like attendance, punctuality, reliability etc. IOW I would sooner employ someone who had done something, anything, during the last x months rather than just sit at home drawing benefit.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You think that if you like.

Say 50 per day at about 33p (?) each; something like =A316 or =A318 face value in the Chief Correspondence Interface Officer's (letter opener's) litter bin. I think not. I think you should get out more, Clive.

If they had binned them, it was still wrong. The stamps don't belong to the council or to the contractors. They are sent in by motorists who want a receipt within the 14 days (or whatever) because they don't want a doubled penalty.

The receipts the motorists requested, as per the invitation on the PCN are not sent at all (I didn't make that bit clear). The "routine machine generated response" is sent to everyone who has paid a PCN sometime after the 14 days.

Reply to
Aidan

It's postage stamps, not cash. Stuck to envelopes, ie tedious to use. You can't simply cash them in for a refund.

Do you actually know what Hanlon's Razor is?

I find life is a lot less stressful without creating gratuitous extra worries for myself - which is what you appear to be doing.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's actually 7.9p in the £, so 7.9% really, although as I said in anoither post, they aren't very accurate anway.

People do use them, I 'weigh in' a couple of times per year, and yes i know it's ripping me off, but I CBA counting almost £100 in pennies, twos, fives etc and then hauling them to a bank on a Saturday morning, while they count them all out again in front of me....I just tip them all into a strong carrier bag and then empty them into the machine, then stand there twiddling appendages until it spews out a ticket and I get my cash from the nice plump lady with too much makeup.

This shows the % taken:

this is the homepage:

Phil L

Do you have any evidence of one *safety* camera that does not comply with the rules?

Police funded cameras do not have to comply with the rules but they get no revenue from them.

Reply to
dennis

Safety cameras do not catch speeders they catch people driving without due care and attention. The penalties are far to light and they should be increased especially the points.

Reply to
dennis