Completely OT- Legal tender

I've never failed to find any, not even when needing all-day parking deep within the Congestion Charge Area. Of course, it has not always been legal, cheap and convenient parking.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Like slowing down for the camera then accelerating away ...

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I have not seen stats for very recent years, so can't comment on the scale of the rise (if there is one)... the impression I got for figures I saw a couple of years ago was that cameras have made little if any impact to the overall accident rate (although I accept they may have displaced some of the locations). Often it seems the accidents move to the back streets due to increased traffic deliberately choosing new routes that avoid cameras.

The seat belt one was interesting, since for years it was thought it had made a big reduction in road deaths. What they forgot to include in the stats however was that the year of introduction also coincided with the start of the anti drink driving campaign - so it is actually more difficult to attribute the actual cause of the reductions. They also later realised that while seat belts did reduce the death rate among drivers, there was an increase in the death rates for all other road users (pedestrians, cyclists etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

75% IIRC
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Because silly prats batting along above the speed limit spot the camera at the last moment and slam the anchors on. Taking following motorists (also speeding or not) behind by surprise who promptly shunt them?

Yes, this does happen. It happens even when the leading motorist *isn't* speeding. Had some one do that in front of me in lane 3 on the M6 at

70mph when they spotted the markings left over from some road works. I nearly rammed them and the guy behind nearly rammed me and had very frightened looked on his very white face.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I called our local parking office to inform them that pikeys had invaded a car park in town. Their reply was that they would inforn the 'traveller liason officer'.

I complained that the pikeys were breaking every rule in the book, whilst local residents get tickets at the drop of a hat. I suggested they send some parking attendants to ticket the transits and was told they couldn't do that, because the attendants might be subject to abuse or violence.

So I assume that if I am abusive & violent I am immune to parking tickets?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How do you manage to drive? It must be very difficult folding your wings under the seatbelt and making sure the halo doesn't poke out through the sun roof?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Correct. Don't tell anyone.....

Very badly used at that, terrible technique.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh err! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Obviously not leaving the 2 second gap. It makes motoring much less stressful if you do leave the gap.

Reply to
<me9

If you've got lots of big mates who look likely to cause grief, and you've got no house or much of value to lose, yes.

(another way is to have a large nuclear arsenal - well, works for the USians and the congestion charge...)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Ah, now I see the other mistake you are making.

Not my belief, Hanlon/Heinlein was introducd by you and I disagree, always have. If you re-read, you won't find that I said that anywhere. You've misunderstood. I think the stamps were pocketed, the simplest and most likely explanation.

That seems to have gone way over your head, too.

If it was, probably.

Reply to
Aidan

You mean, reading what you wrote, not what you meant to write?

Right, so bits where you claimed they were saying opposite things and hence one supported you were merely my imagination then? Like this bit:

If you now accept they're saying the same thing I'm happy. Of course you're still choosing the more complex and unlikely cause for your SAE going missing, but it's a free world and you're entitled to your paranoia.

Most complex and least likely explanation...

So when you wrote

you were being pretentious then?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Any accidents resulting from that would still show up as being around the camera location. One study showed that accident reduction is measurable at up to 2km from the site of a camera.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In accordance with Roadcraft, which was a White Paper in the days when I was taught to drive to it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Which side though?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Now that is interesting. The road our estate connects to has a speed camera. I've lived here for 23 years and never seen any kind of accident on that road, let alone a fatack.

BTW. You can't have an RTA (Road Traffic Accident) anymore according to my paramedic daughter. You have to have a RTC (Road Traffic Collision) instead.

Apparently the insurance companies have influenced the Govmint to change the terminology. An 'accident' is someone's fault and someone is to blame, so they have to pay out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have always objected to people saying, after their vehicle had collided with another, that they had been involved in a 'car accident' on the basis that they use the word 'accident' to divorce themselves from any responsibility. It is miniscule-ly (sp?) rare for one to have not contributed in any way to the events that lead to a crash.

rant mode off

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Quite. That's why I call them (the "accident") 'incompetents', as in; "the traffic's bad because someone's had an incompetent."

Reply to
Huge

"a deviation from best practice resulting in failure to meet the quality threshold"

Owain

Reply to
Owain