Temporary Wheelchair user

Has anyone encountered our situation. My wife is usinging a wheelchair until a foot operation is completely healed.

We cannot get a Blue Badge as we do not meet the criteria.

Our concern is that in shop car-parks, hospital carparks, etc we need the space to open the door wide for her to transfer into the wheelchair.

I have been taking her inside then going back to move my car. I am not getting younger and it is a lot of extra to ad froing in addition to unloading the chair and pushing her.

I have made a notice for my car = saying, "Temporary Wheelchair user" - and giving my mobile phone number in case of any issues.

Do you thing the parking cowboys would take any notice and call me - or am I being naive?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They are mostly on commission, so they won't take any notice.

Be bloody minded. Stop the car next to the space. Decant your wife. Park. Push her.

We have similar issues, as our 2 door car has very big doors. I can usually find a spot next to a flower bed or the like, often at the end of a row. It's a nuisance, though, and it must be worse for you.

HTH.

Reply to
GB

No but I do seem to remember that at least in London a temp badge can be issued as far as I know, unless they have sneaked in a change. I being blind have one which I can use in anybodys car.

You would be surprised the number of people who open their gobs at my driver.

Did you approach the local authority and explain the issue? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry to say, but life is hard enough for people who *do* have blue badges.

Parent and Child bays aren't protected (by law) so you can use those. But be prepared for a flood of yummy mummies with their Chelsea tractors (that's the child transport systems, not the cars) to hurl abuse at you.

Hope your wife recovers soon.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Worth asking the hospital help desk if there is a local scheme to provide a temporary blue badge (and if not write to your MP). It makes no sense otherwise since they claim they want people to remain independent but are awkward about enabling that for a temporary disability. You have to ask (a bit like other parking concessions).

The problem we have is that although our friend would easily meet the criteria he refuses to be labelled disabled. The result is that we often have to park miles away from the shop entrance to find a double space where he can get out and he is already out of steps before we reach the shop. It takes him a couple of days to recover from such an outing.

The bloody minded solution I have used in extremis is to pick a quiet corner get the passenger out of the car with the car only half way into the space and then move full way in once they are in the wheelchair.

Council ones might on a good day but private ones will rub their hands with glee at the chance to grab another scalp (and commission).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes Brian - My wife spoke to the today. It seems there is a 6 month period of incapacity before a permanant badge can be issued as well.

I can't really understand why a badge cannot be issued with an expiry set by the consultant.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is she an idiot?

Agreed. It's usually a horizontal and hard surface in the car park so pushing is no problem.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You are being naive . Some wardens will use a bit of common and let you away with it (depending on how much of a problem it creates) some will apply the law to the letter and 'throw the book' at you. Sorry but the getting out then moving the car seems to be the safest way to go.

Anecdote:-

A car park, I use a lot, has a couple of disabled bays which I can park in with a blue badge, however these bays are quite often taken up by vans and all sorts (parking is near a set of shops and drivers quite often take a break with a snack in the parking).

When these bays are occupied all I can do is get into a normal space (sometimes the car park is full(ish) and I have to squeeze into a [marked full size but actually with overgrowth and bad parking by others] rather small space) . I have to let the wife out (she needs LOTS of room to get out of the car) then I can get into the space and get out myself. When going away I do the opposite of that i.e. I get out of the space let her in then can drive away .

Sorry I can not be more positive but at least her foot will improve then you can return to being 'normal' (if there is such a thing).

Reply to
soup

Rules.. you aren't disabled if its a temporary thing. There would be hundreds of thousands of blue badges if they were allowed for temporary stuff, like "I can't walk because I have an ingrowing toe nail".

Can she manage with crutches?

Reply to
dennis

Busy hospital and clinic car parks are the main issue. Not wanting to park on Yellow Lines. I accept that a "Blue Badge" requirement is what it says - but a "Disabled Sign" does not imply Blue Badge.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Does she need to go shopping ?. Just stay at home until she is fully mobile again. You can go out and do the shopping on your own.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew wrote in news:pndggj$ppp$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Theraputic - good for her to go out.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is that the 1950s calling ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

+1
Reply to
Andy Bennet

cabin fever's no fun

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Choose places and times that are less busy if you have the option. Tuesday mornings tend to be quietest round here.

That way you stand a decent chance of finding a double normal space.

Hospital parking for someone with very limited mobility (due to a temporary condition) and therefore without a blue badge is something of a nightmare and should be addressed. It is worth asking the question...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Andy Bennet wrote in news:Z8GdnfYS snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

No - nor a zimmer.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No need to go out to supermarkets which don?t have any easy way to get out of the car without a Blue Badge. And it wont do her any harm to not go out while the foot heals.

Reply to
Josh Nack

No it's bloody reality. She has a temporary disability but expects the 'system' to alter just to suit her.

Internet shopping is the name of the game these days.

She can always toddle off for a walk from the house to exercise her foot.

Reply to
Andrew