Way to manoeuvre wheelchair in tight space

We have a friend who occasionally visits. She uses a powered wheelchair - she is light but the chair isn't!

We have access to most of the house sorted out - wide gate at back, portable ramps, etc.

Access to our living room is difficult, although just about possible. It involves going round a tight corner - too tight for the chair to manoeuvre. We can do it by lifting and moving, bit by bit, but it's difficult due to the weight of the thing.

We could modify the corner but that's not a small job.

I wondered if anyone else has had to solve this problem. I was thinking of the wheel dollies used in car showrooms, but a lot smaller of course. The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility - all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to their normal direction of travel. It's not really feasible to lift the chair onto anything.

Any ideas? DIY or otherwise. Or I'll have to start sawing away...the obstruction is wood but probably structural...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Couple of pieces of chequerplate, chequers upwards, polished underneath with bevelled edges. Drive onto the pieces of plate, slide sideways. It might help to join them together with a couple of strips of aluminium.

Reply to
Huge

If it's too heavy for furniture movers under the wheels then possibly laminate sheet: I've on an old piece of Formica which I've used several times (slippery side down) to slide heavy boxes, washing machines etc into place .

Reply to
Robin

These seem to be what Estates Depts use to shunt furniture around on both hard or carpet-tiled areas

You do seem to need to use a jolt to start them sliding and keep the speed up though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you not go past the door and come in backwards?

There do seem to be little handled trolley things like this in some branches of Curries when they start to move display machines about, but to be honest, I think they only work on very tough flooring. maybe a shop fittings company might know where to get them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think I would try a couple of pieces of hardboard with the smooth sides together as a slider - if it doesn't work it's cost next to nothing.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Make a turntable to sit in the space when needed?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The usual solution for cars with a similar problem is a turntable:

Nothing I can find that would be the right size for a wheelchair, so you would probably need to make your own. Just remember to provide a locking device, so that it doesn't turn when you simply step on it.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd go for something like four old-fashioned chromed steel hubcaps - you need low friction, largish surface area and enough strength not to bend much. You might have to bend or cut a bit so the wheels can roll on and off easily, but maybe not if the carpet is reasonably thick.

Maybe balti dishes or trays or even

Or a ceiling-mounted winch.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

i wonder if Bryan has hit on the answer? Is the turning capability better backwards than forwards?

Reply to
Capitol

When maneuvering heavy furniture over carpet, I've found that four old table place-mats, ~A4-sized, shiny side down and suitably positioned, are a great help. Nice and thin for slipping under things.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Hand brake turning?

Reply to
ARW

You need to get it onto two wheels, like this:

Uncle Peter

The material with the 2nd lowest coefficient of friction is polythene.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Buy a manual wheelchair (they are £99 new, but many bereaved people have an NHS one in the shed) and transfer the lady to that at the front door. Let her park her powerchair outside or in the hallway. I keep a manual chair in the car just in case we go somewhere where the powerchair won't fit. She will probably be used to transferring to a manual chair because many theatres, etc, keep them for the purpose. The other advantage is that a manual chair will fold up, so after she's transferred to the seat at the dining table (or whatever) it can be put out of the way. She's probably got a manual chair anyway. She could bring it with her if she comes by car. Manual chairs are good for small spaces and tight corners, especially if you remove the footrests. No harm in letting the legs dangle for a few moments.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Looks good...I'll investigate!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The whole area is just too tight unfortunately.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think we tried that and it didn't help. Really not a lot of room!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Another good one to try.

Ceiling changes height...the doorway is an access under the stairs. This is a weird house.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's easy to try - thanks.

Reply to