Best wood to use indoors, health wise

When I mean health wise, I mean I'm looking for a piece of wood that doesn' t give off anything toxic, or it's dusty (respiratory problems), or anythin g bad like that. Basically, I'm after a piece of wood (board really), 6 fo ot by 3, which I'm going to use as a base to hold a load of plant pots. Th anks a lot.

The wood itself is generally ok. If some form of composite, more likely the glue which causes problems like with MDF. But usually only the dust created when cutting.
For the best strength, a decent bit of plywood would be best. And support it as often as possible. With 12mm ply, probably three supports would be fine assuming the pots ain't ginormous.
--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

On 10/12/14 13:03, cdr wrote:

almost anything.
I'd go for a melamine coated chip, because its pre-finished.
Wood is something humans have evolved around.It probably the least toxic thing there is.

Yes.

Nope, stones are clearly much less toxic as long as you avoid the radioactive ones.
On Wednesday, 10 December 2014 13:03:52 UTC, cdr wrote:

n't give off anything toxic, or it's dusty (respiratory problems), or anyth ing bad like that. (snip from o.p.)
Thanks a lot for all replies. Does anyone know if people like Travis Perki ns etc cut either plywood or melamine to custom size? Can't get through on the phone to them atm. I've got a vague feeling they might not cut MDF, b ut plywood maybe perhaps? Thanks a lot.
On 10/12/2014 15:05, cdr wrote:

My local wood supplier will do that.
On 10/12/2014 15:05, cdr wrote:

Yes. They will but you have to buy the entire sheet at stock size. (Even so they are typically a lot cheaper than eg B&Q)
I have a vague feeling you are supposed to be trade but if you know exactly what you want and specify it they will cut to order (there and then if they aren't too busy or come back for it in a few hours).
You probably want marine ply if you intend to put plantpots on it as ordinary will tend to warp and delaminate when it gets wet.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 10/12/2014 15:05, cdr wrote:

As per my other post, plywood or melamine coated may not be the best material if water is involved.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Yeah, I'd personally use galvanised metal or even stainless.
Oh another canherbis factory then? I'd not imagine, being serious for a moment that there would be wood that was a health hazard under normal circumstances myself. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"cdr" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
On 10/12/2014 13:03, cdr wrote:

If you look at this HSE data sheet on the toxicity of different woods, you might decide you would be better off with a slab of slate:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf
--
Colin Bignell

not serving it up for dinner dear.
On 10/12/2014 13:03, cdr wrote:

Cedar wood staging is one traditional way for greenhouses.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Are you absolutely sure of that? It's probably true of the sort you'll find in the average wood yard.
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:03:52 PM UTC, cdr wrote:

n't give off anything toxic, or it's dusty (respiratory problems), or anyth ing bad like that. Basically, I'm after a piece of wood (board really), 6 foot by 3, which I'm going to use as a base to hold a load of plant pots. Thanks a lot.
Most woods are fine. Wood composites eg mdf & chipboard contain things that can cause some people problems. Wood slats drain better than sheet, thus m oulder less. Mould can be pretty toxic.
NT
On 10/12/2014 13:03, cdr wrote:

One thing to consider is that no matter how careful you are watering plants it will sometimes result in the wood getting wet, and perhaps staying wet under the pot.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 12/10/2014 3:58 PM, alan_m wrote:

This sort of thing can help -
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)Q4J31TZKH8RCSG9YV0>
There are other, cheaper ones out there, or you can make something yourself.
cdr wrote:

Paint it then.
Bill

Actually, for something that's designed to have plant pots standing on it, I'd go for almost anything BUT melamine-coated chip. There will inevitably be the odd spillage during watering of the plants, which will get past the edging on the board and soak into the chipboard causing it to swell up. Sure, there are tricks to minimise this, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for this application.
Unless the OP has some very exotic allergy or something, this really is a non-problem though. In practice the only potential problems you might get from any timber you'll buy in the UK would be from inhaling dust when machining it.
--
David