Best flowering plants to grow indoors...

Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.

Reply to
RobCardiff

"Spider Plants" are the easiest to grow indoors. The biggest problem with house plants is bugs in the house. Once you get the bugs in the house it can be hard to get rid of them. So spray the plants with insecticide soaps once in a while.

Green leafy plants with no flowers tend to do best indoors. Some leafy plants with color can be grown indoors like "coleuses" can be done. Good luck?

Nad R

When you post on Gardenbanter, the posts are relayed to Usenet. A lot of the replies you see will be from Usenet.

Depends on the light available.

For almost no light required and reliable blooming, Christmas Cactus works for me. In a north facing window I get blooms from November to March.

Under lights African Violets bloom almost constantly. They may work for you in a window. East or West facing is best.

I have a Snake Plant that blooms every 4 or 5 years. The flowers aren't much to look at but they smell nice.

Reply to
despen

African violets are the easiest. You can choose from a broad rage of petal types and colors, too.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Orchids, not really difficult.

Brooklyn1

I recommend that you start with Peace Lilies or Moth Orchids. They don't need that much light and their blooms are just beautiful. Just make sure you have good 'fiberglass planters'

and good soil and you should be good to go!

Reply to
Mulcher25

The biggest problem with indoor plants are bugs in the home. Once you get bugs in the home can be difficult to get rid of them. So spray the plants with insecticidal soap every once in a while.

Reply to
philipjack

Hi Rob,

Monstera deliciosa, also called Swiss Cheese Plant, is an excellent choice. Bromeliads, especially Aechmea and Guzmania, are easy plants to start with. In one of the posts below I read about bugs. To keep bugs away, it helps to fertilize the plants once a month with fish emulsion.

Happy Growing,

Bob Walsh

Reply to
BobWalsh

I had one of these as a houseplant for many years when I was a child. When I got older, I put it in the ground. It loved the sun and soil. After a few years in the ground, it started to flower. Walking by one day, I smelled something sweet. Looking, I found a fruit on the ground, covered by ants. I looked it up and was surprised to find it was edible. Now I watch the fruit, and get them when they are ripe, before the ants. Yummmm.

If anybody wants a large specimen, and lives close to Garden Grove CA, let me know. I will share, if you promise to give it a good home.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

I have orchids in my kitchen that have been there quite a while! I suggest those, they look lovely indoors!

Reply to
hollierose